Sign in to follow this  
wild_weston

Anyone know where you can get stealth/clear front indicator bulbs in N

Apparantly they flash amber but are silver/ clear when not flashing. So they are legal but don't give that dull orange look in your clear inidcators.

I've seen them on american part sites but can't find anywhere to get them from in NZ (or I am being a bit blind).

Anyone got these and if so where from?

Cheers

Apparantly they flash amber but are silver/ clear when not flashing. So they are legal but don't give that dull orange look in your clear inidcators.

I've seen them on american part sites but can't find anywhere to get them from in NZ (or I am being a bit blind).

Anyone got these and if so where from?

Cheers

I've seen them at Repco here in Tauranga, pretty common with altezza-style tail lights.

Just do it yourself.

What you will need:

- Amber bulbs

- a small cardboard box

- steel wool or scuff pad equivalent

- High Heat - Aluminium colored spray paint

Step 1: Remove all amber bulbs you wish to become "Stealth bulbs". (In my case, I wanted front corners and tails)

Step 2: Scuff bulbs with a steel wool or equivalent to roughen surface allowing the paint to stick.

post-1498-1208405252_thumb.jpg

Step 3: Punch holes in the box correlating with the number of bulbs you want to paint and fit bulbs into holes.

Step 4: Lightly spray a dusting on each side of the amber bulbs. Note: Be very careful not to apply the coat too thick as the amber will not show through when lit. Keep the bulbs about 3 feet away from the spray can to ensure a light coat or dusting.

post-1498-1208405266_thumb.jpg

Step 5: Allow an hour of drying time or until bulbs are dry to the touch.

Step 6: Replace all lights to their original position on the car.

Now all "egg yolk" is gone:

post-1498-1208405273_thumb.jpgpost-1498-1208405283_thumb.jpg

post-1498-1208405405_thumb.jpgpost-1498-1208405301_thumb.jpg

Woah i didnt know about this. Ill be doing it to my m3/clear corners once they arrive...

Thanks for the replies.

One DIY and one where to buy.

Being a bit lazy and being sure that I would end up spraying my whole car silver, I think I'll try the repco route first.

Thanks

Finally got round to picking some of these up.

Got a pack of 2 for $15 from supercheap auto. REPCO had some as well.

Really easy and value for money bit of appearance change. If you have already got clear indicators then you might as well get silver/ amber bulbs as well.

Girlfriend thought I was wasting my time but showed her the difference after I had changed one and even she agreed it looked better. They also seem to flash brighter than the amber bulbs. Should have taken some photos at this point but forgot in my rush to get both done.

Took me half an hour in all. Going to do the tail indicators next and try and find some bulbs for the side ones as well.

For anyone going to do this here are some things I learnt:

The bulbs are 21 watt. These are the only silver/ amber ones I could find, which is fortunate.

On E46 pre-facelift models, you have to insert a flat bladed (not phillips) screwdriver into the hole just above and behind the indicator, in the engine bay sill.

Press down and you should find a groove. It will start to give. Press down harder and slightly towards the front of the car and the indicator will just pop out. From there it is easy to unscrew the bulb housing and then the bulb, with your hands.

When handling the bulbs use a tissue or cloth so you don't get any dirt or grime on the glass.

I only mention the above because I was working from the owners manual and it didn't make these things very clear (no pun intended).

Only problems I ran into was using a phillips screwdriver at first, which obviously misses the groove. Then I found that one of my existing bulbs had shed nearly all of its amber coating. It had also come off its runner so I couldn't get it out of the housing. Had to smash it in the end and use needle nose pliers to remove the metal part.

Apart from that all good.

Edited by wild_weston

Were the pins on the bulbs set at a quarter to 3, or at 10 to 2, as ive yried both of these outlets for my E36 but they only do the 10 to 2 type which will not fit as the other sort are required for the E36.

The pins were at the 10 to 2 style.

I didn't see any quarter to three ones. You may have better luck on the american sites or try the DIY method above.

On the DIY method, I think that this will work fine. From what I can tell they just used this method at the bulb factory (light silver coating on an amber bulb). Might even try it myself as I couldn't find any 5 watt side inidcator bulbs of this type.

Now changed the rears as well. Easy as to do. Just press the release button and the bulb assembly just pops out of the boot.

I found that both my original rear bulbs had flaked off most of their amber coating, like the one in the front. No biggie but for anyone reading this you may want to check yours anyway as they seem to be original stock ones so more people could have this flaking. Will only fail a WOF if they are completely flaked but you might want to check to avoid the flakes hanging around the bottom of your light assemblys though.

Last tip, the REPCO bulbs are a dollar more than the supercheap auto ones.

Were the pins on the bulbs set at a quarter to 3, or at 10 to 2, as ive yried both of these outlets for my E36 but they only do the 10 to 2 type which will not fit as the other sort are required for the E36.

That will be the different coding they use to make sure the wrong bulb can't be used in the wrong socket (eg: an amber bulb in the reverse, or a twin filament in the indicator etc). This will also depend on the original specification for the car - if it had amber lenses, then a white bulb will be required for the OEM bulbsocket (and the amber bulb won't fit).

The amber bulb is a PY21W, and I know Philips supply them (not sure about Osram). I think the Philips version with the silver coating is called Silvervision. You could also try Hella, or an auto electrician - or have a quick trawl through the web.

This will also depend on the original specification for the car - if it had amber lenses, then a white bulb will be required for the OEM bulbsocket (and the amber bulb won't fit).

Really? From my experience, white and amber bulbs are the same, ie: you can use amber bulbs in amber lenses or white bulbs with white lenses. The sockets should be the same for either, all that matters is the positions of the pins and voltage/wattage. This was with the E36 but I would have thought it's the same.

Really? From my experience, white and amber bulbs are the same, ie: you can use amber bulbs in amber lenses or white bulbs with white lenses. The sockets should be the same for either, all that matters is the positions of the pins and voltage/wattage. This was with the E36 but I would have thought it's the same.

The idea of the pins offset is so you can't do exactly that - put a white bulb in a clear lens indicator, or an amber bulb in reverse etc. There is a radial offset (as well as a vertical one on the P21/5W) - I forget all of the actual IEC codings but BAU15 is for a PY21W (amber bulb).

Some bulb sockets will accept both although it is frowned on - the ECE lighting rules are very tough on indicator colour and failsafe design is required. The silverlight bulbs are amber bulbs with a silver coating on the outside - so they use the same base as the PY21W.

The specific difference between pins on the amber and white bulbs should be about 3mm radially (ie: one pin is 3mm further around on the amber bulb than the white). The attachment shows the difference between the white and amber bulbs. Course, the bulb sockets are normally only nylon so if you force it hard enough, it will go in....

Some manufacturers (like the one I used to work for in Europe) actually code the bulb socket so you can't put the wrong socket into the wrong counterpart in the lamp housing (ie: you can't mix reverse and stop/tail or indicator).... Admittedly, they don't all do that, and some aftermarket lamp manufacturers are a little less perdantic about it. And, I suspect there are some less than certified bulbs around where an amber bulb uses a white bulb base as well.

I guess the guts is that in theory (in the OEM world) they should be different and designed failsafe, but with the amount of aftermarket parts available there will be cases where they are the same....

bulb_codings.pdf

WOW thanks for all the info, thats more than i'd ever get from the acne covered dimwits at Ripuoffco or supercheats.

I'll try a local auto sparky to see if he can help.

I got mine last week at Appco

Great stuff, we actually have a branch here in ChCh, Thank again for the tip

Great stuff, we actually have a branch here in ChCh, Thank again for the tip

Their part # 12496SVB2

Trouble is they want $51.99 a pair + GST retail

I got mine from them for $18.25 a pair + GST Trade

Hope you know someone down there

Their part # 12496SVB2

Trouble is they want $51.99 a pair + GST retail

I got mine from them for $18.25 a pair + GST Trade

Try Repco, Narva brand P/N.47385,they retail for well under $20.00.( a pair)

Edited by 37south

[, thats more than i'd ever get from the acne covered dimwits at Ripuoffco .

Do you realise this remark could be quite offensive to the majority of dedicated Repco and Appco (which is part of Repco) Staff.Your `acne covered dimwits at ripuoffco`staff are very small in numbers and are mainly young people trying their best to learn the trade.Give them a chance.

Edited by 37south

[quote name='37south' date='May 5 2008, 05:40 PM' post='171104

Try Repco, Narva brand P/N.47385,they retail for well under $20.00.( a pair)

I tried REPCO...they said they didn't stock them .....Nation Wide.... I do have an account with them

[, thats more than i'd ever get from the acne covered dimwits at Ripuoffco .

Do you realise this remark could be quite offensive to the majority of dedicated Repco and Appco (which is part of Repco) Staff.Your `acne covered dimwits at ripuoffco`staff are very small in numbers and are mainly young people trying their best to learn the trade.Give them a chance.

I find that offensive too

I tried REPCO...they said they didn't stock them .....Nation Wide.... I do have an account with them

Sorry, part number should be 47385bl,(Phantom bulb)Repco do have them.

Cheers, Ewald.

Sorry, part number should be 47385bl,(Phantom bulb)Repco do have them.

Cheers, Ewald.

Cheers.... but I've got mine now ty

I dont mind people working for a living and i'll always give them a chance, but actually it was a Repco saturday staffer who was being pushy and trying to sell me the Narva ones, of which they only do the one type (the wrong type) he assured me they would fit, so i took him out to my car popped off the front indicator showed him the bulb and holder and all he could say as he hurried back into the shop was that i must have non genuine bulb holders and that my car had been messed with. No apology for being wrong or nothing. And $51 compared to $18 dont tell me thats not a rip off. Learn the trade by all means but dont be a know all.

Check the UK BMW mags like Total BMW and Performance BMW, I'm pretty sure some of them have the ads on the inside covers with silvered out indicator lights... no idea re: cost though.

I want the same bulbs yet super cheap and repco only have the ones with offset pins. I need pins directly opposite each other. Any ideas?

+1 on revive rather than new thread ;)

Edited by _Matt_