Sign in to follow this  
Simo

Airbag Warning Light E36

The thing is this "fix" make the system think there is always someone in the passenger seat so the air bag will go off even if there is no-one in the seat. I think this is OK and the sparky, who by the way is an avid BMW fan, thinks it is one of the better ways to fix and yes I could buy a new sensor and have it fitted but the next time someone kneels on the front seat to reach something in the back the sensor will get crushed again.

So tell me how much do the sensors cost, that is a BMW OE part not one of the bits from china.

Owning two Suzuki Swift vehicles for business, the airbag technology in these vehicles presumes the passenger seat is occupied, its part of the IC logic that doesnt require sensors that are damaged so easily. Now you must ask the question why didnt they (Suzuki) follow the example of the earlier SRS technology and locate the sensors in the seats. Telling the SRS techology in the BMW that the seat is always occupied, has to be the path that future BMW's took as well. To mod the SRS sensor to do this was a mod that BMW didnt get around to releasing in their vehicles until 1998, (stand to be corrected on that). To have my kids break it again, the electronic sensor bypass solution would have happened anyway, I'm just sorting what BMW knew they should have done in designing and implementing this new technology. By the way, I rebuilt desmo valve design in the older Ducati's by using shims under the opening valve caps, was never in the Ducati manual, it worked a treat, got an extra 10,000kms out of the clearances, hence less servicing work, yep could of flown to bits, but never missed a beat. Taking a risk to improve whats there, is constructive innovation.

Edited by Simo

Your car is production date 07/97 (same car as mine)

We would need to establish if your car has the mat under the cushion or on top

If it is fitted under the cushion on your car presently, it will need the cushion mod as well. 90% of the time you don't need the control unit, you wont know untill you fit the mat first. BMW recommend that this is replaced as well.

Sensor mat $283.87 + GST

Control unit $176.75

Cushion $317.31

Trim wires $ 4.24

All prices + GST I can do it less 10% discount + freight

You will also need some Ogg rings and special Ogg ring pliers for these as well. You get these from an Automotive Upholsteres suppliers. Closest for you would be someone in ChCh maybe. Pliers cost about $30.

Well I got my SRS light switched off and a check on the miss at idle. Total cost $137.00

parts = $25.00 (seat sensor chip) the rest was scantool connect and labour. Miss fire is the oxy sensor before the cat conveter. The Auto electrician will also give a better price than OEM as well, for a Bosh unit. Now only have to sit back and wait for the lotto win so can replace the seat sensor

Well I got my SRS light switched off and a check on the miss at idle. Total cost $137.00

parts = $25.00 (seat sensor chip) the rest was scantool connect and labour. Miss fire is the oxy sensor before the cat conveter. The Auto electrician will also give a better price than OEM as well, for a Bosh unit. Now only have to sit back and wait for the lotto win so can replace the seat sensor

Oxygen sensors dont normally cause a problem with missfiring at idle. Most oxygen sensor fault codes are due to something else and the oxygen sensor goes out of scale trying to lean or richen the mixture. Introducing a fault code because it has reached its trim limit. If you check live data and the oxygen sensor is cycling within range at idle, it is unlikely to be the sensor. Pity your so far away or I could check it for you.

What was the actual fault code (word for word)???? There are about 6 different O2 fault codes.... Type of scanner ??

Or was the fault code numerical code only ??

Does his scanner have live data recall in real time ??

If the only fault code present is oxygen sensor (dependant on what the actual word for word code is) It is likley to be something else causing it.

One of the most common problems on M42 & M44 engines is the crankcase ventilator valve (this will induce oxygen sensor fault code) With the engine running, undo the oil filler cap and try releasing it, if there is too much suction the valve is faulty. If its not that check for air leaks. Air mass sensor faults will also throw oxygen sensor fault codes too.

While the air mass sensor is still working, but working out of scale it will not come up as being actually faulty, because it is still working, but out of scale. Idle Kg should be around 12kg, full load while driving around 450Kg

Injectors, spark plugs and ignition coil faults will also throw 02 sensor fault codes.

I'm not posting this to criticise your electrician, I've seen this alot of times. Oxygen sensor fault codes>>new sensor>>same problem. Because the scanner operator didnt know how to use the tool properly. Codes are not always the actual fault, they are, in alot of cases the result of something else that cannot be monitored by the DME.

As an example M52TU & M54 engines will throw oxygen sensor fault codes when the hydraulic lifters are faulty. Hydraulic lifters cannot be monitored by the DME. An experienced person using a scanner and evaluating live data readings can confirm this fault by using and understanding the scanner tool he is using.

Scanners are just tools. Experience and understanding fixes problems.

You will probably be confused and frustrated by reading this. However I cant help you on a forum or over the phone.

You could get your electrician to give me a call though. It might just save you some money and get your car right.

Cheers

Glenn

Thanks Glenn

A lot of very useful information there and yup its a shame you are so far away.