Sign in to follow this  
silvermace

Engine Brake in M1? '99 E46 328 CI

Hi guys, first post :)

I was curious, my '99 E49 328 Ci doesnt use 1st gear unless I select it with the tiptronic (as far as I can tell)

I've gotten into a slight habit of shifting right down to 1st if I need to brake aggressively or am trying to control downhill/following speed, obviously the engine ends up revving between 3-5k rpm (which is mid-hi range for this car)

so my question is, is it ok to engine brake in these carse? should I not be engine braking?? If I can engine brake, are there any guidelines?

Cheers,

-Danu

Hi guys, first post :)

I was curious, my '99 E49 328 Ci doesnt use 1st gear unless I select it with the tiptronic (as far as I can tell)

I've gotten into a slight habit of shifting right down to 1st if I need to brake aggressively or am trying to control downhill/following speed, obviously the engine ends up revving between 3-5k rpm (which is mid-hi range for this car)

so my question is, is it ok to engine brake in these carse? should I not be engine braking?? If I can engine brake, are there any guidelines?

Hi, mine does the same with light thottle take offs or down hill starts.

Plant your foot from a stand and were in 1st alright!

As for engine braking in manual mode, not sure, if auto ECU allows you to shift down at certain revs and loads, maybe ok.

Cheers,

-Danu