Sign in to follow this  
SIKE30

Compression test

Hey guys afew weeks ago I did a compression test on my 318i m10 and it came up with 120psi on all cylinders. is 120 good or bad? the car drives fine and does not burn oil or anything.

Hey guys afew weeks ago I did a compression test on my 318i m10 and it came up with 120psi on all cylinders. is 120 good or bad? the car drives fine and does not burn oil or anything.

The reading is a bit low, but that would depend on the guage that your using and how you did it. 5% variation in M10 is acceptable, but nothing more than 5%. I wouldnt want a variation on a later model car though.

Should I be worried about it? Because im not sure if the motor is worth taking apart again to do the rings. I took it apart 2 years ago while I was doing the head gasket and replaced the big end and main bearings and all gaskets.

Should I be worried about it? Because im not sure if the motor is worth taking apart again to do the rings. I took it apart 2 years ago while I was doing the head gasket and replaced the big end and main bearings and all gaskets.

If its not giving you any problems.....leave it

It could just be the guage you used or the way you did it.

We always loosen spark plugs, start car, remove spark plugs and do compression test with wide open throttle. This stops and carbon getting under a valve and giving a false reading. Try it at full throttle...you might get a better reading or try someone elses guage

Sweet thank you ill try that method you suggested.

one more question could this be the cause of the oil pressure light staying on for about 5 - 10 seconds when the car 1st starts?

one more question could this be the cause of the oil pressure light staying on for about 5 - 10 seconds when the car 1st starts?

No..... put an oil pressure guage on and check the oil pressure or just put a new oil pressure switch on....could be the switch, especially if the switch is leaking

Edited by botanymotorworx