Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

manual box conversion

hey guys,

do all m20b25 engines have crank angle sensors ?

i have a box that i removed from a b20 engine, and some one wants to buy it for their b25 engine,

bell housings are the same,

whats the deal ?

cheers guys,

are you guys gunna post up a topic on how the anzac day cruize went ?

Pre facelift 325i has crank sensors which mount on the bellhousing, and the flywheel has an extra tooth in it for one of the sensors (the other reads off the ring gear).

323i doesn't have it (but does have a 260 gearbox), and ditto for facelift 325i (which has a different crank sensor on the front).

I've only dealt with 325i pre-facelift (and its needs for sensors), but would guess your 240 box would work on a 323i, 320i, and a 325i facelift, with your flywheel (and starter motor if the ring gear is different on any of those).

Pre facelift 325i has crank sensors which mount on the bellhousing, and the flywheel has an extra tooth in it for one of the sensors (the other reads off the ring gear).

323i doesn't have it (but does have a 260 gearbox), and ditto for facelift 325i (which has a different crank sensor on the front).

I've only dealt with 325i pre-facelift (and its needs for sensors), but would guess your 240 box would work on a 323i, 320i, and a 325i facelift, with your flywheel (and starter motor if the ring gear is different on any of those).

As per above for crank angle sensors on 325i's pre to F/L

Yes M20 240/260 boxes interchange on all M20's. 240 normally in 320i, 260 in 323i, 325i

Starters are the same throughout too.

As per above for crank angle sensors on 325i's pre to F/L

Yes M20 240/260 boxes interchange on all M20's. 240 normally in 320i, 260 in 323i, 325i

Starters are the same throughout too.

and my guess is that it would be a waste of time and money manually installing crank angle sensors into the box, but welding the lip on the flywheel would be easy-ish, but still, waste of time and money ?

It should be easier/cheaper if he can find the correct one. **If** being the operative word.

and my guess is that it would be a waste of time and money manually installing crank angle sensors into the box, but welding the lip on the flywheel would be easy-ish, but still, waste of time and money ?

Welding the lip on the flywheel is easy-ish, but as we found out it's best to copy one from another flywheel and not a flex plate.

If you're looking to install the crank angle sensors it is quite costly approx $300 as you need an engineer to drill the holes in the bellhousing.