Sign in to follow this  
Fen

Insurance suggestions

Hi folks, I've not posted for a while, but I'm in NZ now (since mid Feb actually) and I have the smallest production BMW with me (anyone else got one, or is there somewhere else Kiwi Mini owners hang out?)

Anyway the car suddenly got through MAF and VTNZ inspections yesterday and caught me out a little by being on my drive before ANZAC Day, so I haven't sorted insurance for it yet.

I have one quote from NAC which is perhaps a bit higher than I expected. Anyone got any other suggestions for places to try? The car is an import '04 Cooper S which has been lowered, has Rota wheels and conventional (as opposed to runflat) tyres in 215 rather than 205 x 17", upgraded brakes, Aero body kit, smaller supercharger pulley, bigger intercooler and a cold air induction kit. I have 9 years documented NCD from the UK and I'm currently driving on my UK license, so I guess not every insurer will be interested

Welcome along,Be great to see some pics!

Unsure about where to go for insurance, im with state and have never had a problem

Edited by braeden.

I'm with Pioneer insurance, they only offer full cover (which is I assume what you would be after anyways).

http://www.pioneerinsurance.co.nz/

My Mum works for a panelbeating company and says they are real good to deal with in regards to paying out etc.

I couldnt believe the quote they gave me considering my circumstances (Under 21, a few driving convictions and a 4L v8 haha).

Hit them up for a quote, doesnt cost a cent.

Ian.

I just signed up with state for $9k on the 328.. Im under 25, have had lots of driving infringements, been disqualified and all in all nobody would touch me except clic and nac really.

$740/ year, $500 excess.. (next closet was NAC at $1200/ year!!!!)

I say state.. call em today!

I'd say stay away from State.

Honda Jazz ($19k, 2005), 2 speeding ticket, 1 vehicle write off. Include business use but exclude under 25.

... wait for it... $2500/year. 1500 excess !!!!

Called a couple of brokers and got...

NZI = $1400/500 excess, Vero = $1400/750 excess.

Edited by my_e36

Thanks guys, I may as well try all your suggestions.

I haven't got any pics of the car in NZ yet, but if I have my code right then this is just before it left the UK and it looks just the same now apart from the registration plates.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm with AMI :( and their a total pain in the ass and reluctantly gave me insurance.

For my e30 (320i) under 25, no driving convictions or speeding tickets, to insure my car for 3k it was going to be $1600 with a 1k excess!!! So i only have 3rd party now and its like 400 with a 900 excess

Probably going to change at the end of the year and sounds like states a pretty good option

Thanks one nice Mini Fen... from my experience shopping around State is the cheapest for someone who doesn't have history. But since you do, you should also check with the brokers, should be able to find a decent deal.

State does allow a number of mods as a % of the car (can't remember how much), so you might want to check with them.

A couple more pics of "Ely" from today...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I need to take some time doing something a bit more artistic, but driving it is more fun than taking photos of it.

I'm with the AA, as I've been a member since I got my licence, their discounts are great and they have been no problem when I've had to make a claim.

Great looking car. I thought you had an Isetta as you said the smallest production BMW.

What tyres are those? Great looking tread pattern on them.

Hey,

Nice mini!

I'm with state. They were by far the cheapest when I was looking. I have full insurance plus roadside resuce for less than $300 a year.

AMI wanted over $1000 and Tower wanted around $1800 p.a..

I'm under 25, have an e30 and have no speeding tickets or convictions.

Dean

I personally am not looking forward to what insurance will be for my new car once it arrives... 02 525i, under 21... no accidents tho.. hope that counts for something!

i am with vero,they arent the cheapest but have had no issues with them at all(and i have had to use them twice :()

Thats one busy car under the bonnet! The cooper we had at work the other day was certainly tamer than this. ;) - looks good

Nice Mini Fen!

I wouldn't recommend State to anyone.... They like taking the money, but do everything on the cheap when it comes to fixing anything. Try ringing around - I have heard good things about AA Insurance. You could also do a bulk deal for house, contents, other cars etc.

I think most of them are OK with some mods as long as you declare them up front. Obviously, if you shoehorned a blown big block chevy in there they would say no, but other stuff (as long as it is legal) should be OK. Worst case scenario, you get a certification report from a registered engineer if the mods are serious.

They really get tetchy when you modify the car after they have insured it or don't mention the mods and then make a claim.....

I'm an AA member so that's a good suggestion, but as I said I may as well try all of them, taking on board the mixed feelings about State.

The tyres are Yokohama Parada Spec 2, bought largely because of their sexy looking tread pattern although they get good reviews and I got a fantastic deal along with the Rotas. From looking at the Yokohama NZ website I don't think they are available here, unfortunately.

A couple more pics of "Ely" from today...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I need to take some time doing something a bit more artistic, but driving it is more fun than taking photos of it.

I see it didnt take you long to find The Hill

http://www.classiccover.co.nz/

Really good company and you will get a pretty reasonable price.

I have a quote with them to cover my M3 when I get it on the road.

Cheers,

Laurence

I'm with them, excellent service and a pleasure to deal with. Very very reasonably priced too!

However, they may impose an annual mileage limit.

SEE A BROKER

It will save you a hell of a lot of time, and its free.

They will get you the best price and have an educated opinion on the claim paying ability of the various companies.

I see it didnt take you long to find The Hill

Find it! I've been waiting for the Mini to get here so I can play on it! Trust me, it's been no fun in my wife's automatic H-RV the two or 3 times we've been over so far, but it's just a little bit different in this car :)