Sign in to follow this  
Greg111

Rear suspension bushes

Right my cars back up and running again, thought everything was finelly finished on it but now it turns out both rear bottom arm bushes are worn, so my question is where can i get aftermarket ones from and are nylon bushes avaliable---stronger and stiffer.

Also turns out my other front shock is leaking now so will have to get that done too.

unlucky with the faults...I guess that's to be expected with any car over time though. As a guess, maybe Ireland Engineering?

Only had the money to the one that was leaking at the time.

You really have got something wrong with you havent ya! I'm here asking a legitimate question and you just can't control yourself with you coments!

So im destroying my car because i only fixed one shock when the other one was fine???? Yep the things f**ked now!

Get over yourself mate!

Edited by Greg111

Ok and for that i am sorry but saying that i'm shallow brain etc isn't providing me with facts and i simply don't put up with that sh*t from anyone!

The rear shocks are still in good condition, i guess buying AC shocks for that amount of money they would last the distance.

I only got the the shock repaired not long ago so waiting another two weeks to get the other one fixed shouldn't put it out 10% of the other.

I value yours and and everyone elses input there is just no need to go call people shallow brained etc, sounds like primary school sh*t but it's true.

Anyway back to the original topic, you reckon original bushes are better than aftermarket nylon ones?

Dont mean to add insult to injury but hes right mate. Normally front shocks are sold in a pair anyway and they arnt that expensive. If you cant afford to replace two front shocks then you shouldnt own the car and have something more affordable in my opinion? But hey I have been the same in the past we all learn. Have you replaced both shocks yet?

Im running nolathane bushes for my front lower arm rear bushes, whats wrong with using those on the road 3pedals? other than feeling the road more....

Luke

Dont mean to add insult to injury but hes right mate. Normally front shocks are sold in a pair anyway and they arnt that expensive. If you cant afford to replace two front shocks then you shouldnt own the car and have something more affordable in my opinion? But hey I have been the same in the past we all learn. Have you replaced both shocks yet?

Im running nolathane bushes for my front lower arm rear bushes, whats wrong with using those on the road 3pedals? other than feeling the road more....

Luke

Not prepared to replace 3g worth of of shocks, the fronts which are leaking are adjustys, i have had one repaired and will get the other repaiered in a week or so. It's all aftermarket suspension in it so it's not the car itself thats causing the problem...

Boost Junky - nothing wrong with urethane bushings, but the M3 rubber ones are hard anyway (ie similar level of performance and should be better comfort), and last for about 100,000km - it is a bit questionable how long the urethane ones will last, and for not that much extra why take a chance on a street car.

I got OEM ones for my M3 (I actually got the offset ones in combination with Evo arms, so have even more caster), but would get urethane for your car given its purpose and they are cheaper.

Edited by CamB

Boost Junky - nothing wrong with urethane bushings, but the M3 rubber ones are hard anyway (ie similar level of performance and should be better comfort), and last for about 100,000km - it is a bit questionable how long the urethane ones will last, and for not that much extra why take a chance on a street car.

I got OEM ones for my M3 (I actually got the offset ones in combination with Evo arms, so have even more caster), but would get urethane for your car given its purpose and they are cheaper.

Out of interest how much are the oem ones? I would have thought they would be much more expensive than the urethane ones. Edited by Greg111

For the front bushing, I paid about $70 each for the BMW M3 ones, vs less than $90 the pair for Noltec ones from BNT (which are solid, and much cheaper than the ones from George Stocks). BMW ones went on my car, and the Noltecs on Jonathan's (JiB) E30. My car is a street car, his is for track.

Edited by CamB

It's the upper rear trailing arm bushes on both sides, arent the rear arms on the M3 different to any other E36?

I don't know whether i'm reading it wrong but the Tuner Motorsport site is saying they won't go on the 95 M3 which is what mine is.

Edited by Greg111

Someone who knows might chime in - I thought they were simply heavier/stronger.

I had a quick look on realoem - all E36 top rear bushings seem to be the same - probably about $100 each given the US$ pricing.

Edited by CamB

What the arms? I was looking at them earlier and they both have big ///Ms inscribed on them so assummed they are different some how?

That tuner site said they all use the same top ones but the non M cars and the 95 M3 use different bottom ones to the rest of the E36s? Getting pretty technical now.

Edited by Greg111

Sorry I wasn't clear. I thought the M3 **arms** were stronger, and stronger hub etc.

It seems the top bushing is the same for M3 and non-M3. There isn't an obvious aftermaket option I can find which isn't significantly more expensive, and I'm not sure it would add much on a street/track car rather than a full race car.

Edited by CamB

i think the "adjustables" that are being refered to are coilovers/height adjustable. not just shocks.

I am curious where you get 3 grand for adjustables from - Koni Sport adjustables were 1200 fitted, plus only $270 for a rebuild.

Maybe he means adjustable height.

Sorry that's what i thought adjustables were, they are height and damper adjusted.

So urethane ones it is then.

Edited by Greg111

Which bush? The one 3pedals says is definitely available in urethane and definitely a good idea in urethane.

Not sure the one you want is though.

Upper rear trailing arm.

The whole suspension setup has been changed by the previous owner,

the shocks are bilstiens.

As stated earlier, the bushes i am after are the top bushes in the trailing arm.

I believe you are talking about the two common front and rear bushings that wear out on the E36 and E46 M cars.

The front one is called Front Control Arm Bushing (abbreviated to FCAB on most US based websites)

The rear one is called the Rear Trailing arm bushing (abbreviated to RTAB on most US based websites)

The front one I'd suggest OEM as the aftermarket ones tend to fall out and don't have as good of a fit.

The RTAB I'd go aftermarket Poly bushing from either Rogue Engineering or Powerflex products (I have the Rouge Engineering bushing myself which I've yet to install)

The RTAB is the same between the E36 and E46 M3s - identical parts. I have the tool that's specific for removing this bushing which I imported from the US.

Below is a DIY link from Rogue Engineering on how to replace the RTAB

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=RTAB

If need more info, let me know.