Sign in to follow this  
briancol

LHD Rear vision Mirrors

I purchased a pair of M3 rear vision mirrors for my E36 coupe. Yes they were cheap ($100.00) however once I fitted them I realised that they had come off a left hand drive vehicle. They look so much better than the standard mirrors so I have left them on. Does anyone here know the best way to adapt these so that I don't have to lean foreward or backwards to see with them.

I would say you need to change the mirror glass - these are assembled as either LHD OR RHD

I would say you need to change the mirror glass - these are assembled as either LHD OR RHD

I don't think the glass is the problem as the stalks on what is now the left hand mirror is somewhat longer than the stalks on the drivers side.

Sorry...but it looks like $100 learning curve.

Take note: Check out before you buy and make sure you are getting exactly what you want or need...especially on the internet

BTW Genuine mirror is $423 ea + GST and the mirror glass is seperate another $187 ea + GST

Edited by botanymotorworx

The mirrors themselves are different - one mirror is slightly longer than the other. I'm not sure if this can be solved by just swapping the baseplates but to put it simply there is no easy way around this - you need a set of RHD mirrors.

The mirrors themselves are different - one mirror is slightly longer than the other. I'm not sure if this can be solved by just swapping the baseplates but to put it simply there is no easy way around this - you need a set of RHD mirrors.

+1

You cant swap the bases though Yuen

Edited by botanymotorworx

Why's that Glenn?

Take a real good look at them..a real good look

I think you'll follow my drift , they are handed and cant be swapped

Absolutely correct, you cannot swap the base plates.

I have been told that the mounting that the mirror sits on can be adjusted to some extent but I have no idea how to get into the mechanism.

I will be attending the Albany meeting next Thursday and will have the car with me so if any of you guys are there you will be able to see my problem.

Don't use Glenn's glasses to take that really good look, they are useless..!! B)

Easy mod but difficult to explain, did it to mine.

I just had a good look. As good as I could, anyway. I still can't see any obvious indications that they can't be swapped. The actual mirror housings (not the baseplates) appear to be identical, sometimes my mind is telling me one is slightly longer but I can't say for sure.

I have been told that the mounting that the mirror sits on can be adjusted to some extent but I have no idea how to get into the mechanism.

What do you mean by 'get into the mechanism'?

Easy mod but difficult to explain, did it to mine.

Do explain. Aside from using a grinder and butchering it I can't imagine how.

I just had a good look. As good as I could, anyway. I still can't see any obvious indications that they can't be swapped. The actual mirror housings (not the baseplates) appear to be identical, sometimes my mind is telling me one is slightly longer but I can't say for sure.

I'm not sure I fully understand what your saying but you cannot change the housing nor the baseplate.

I't like putting your left shoe on your right foot - it just doesn't work :wacko:

You may be able to change the actual glass and motor etc?

I'm not sure I fully understand what your saying but you cannot change the housing nor the baseplate.

I't like putting your left shoe on your right foot - it just doesn't work :wacko:

You may be able to change the actual glass and motor etc?

I don't get why everyone's saying it doesn't work. Maybe I should clarify: the housing on M3 mirrors can be detached from the baseplate - it pops off if, say, you back the mirror into a wall. So I'm saying you might be able to get some RHD baseplates (say, from a M3 with damaged housings) and swap them with the LHD baseplates on your LHD mirrors (assuming that the housings are not side-specific), and they'd become RHD mirrors.

I'm not sure if the glass on M3 mirrors is side-specific. It's possible - one mirror may be made convex and one not. The motors should be the same.

I don't get why everyone's saying it doesn't work. Maybe I should clarify: the housing on M3 mirrors can be detached from the baseplate - it pops off if, say, you back the mirror into a wall. So I'm saying you might be able to get some RHD baseplates (say, from a M3 with damaged housings) and swap them with the LHD baseplates on your LHD mirrors (assuming that the housings are not side-specific), and they'd become RHD mirrors.

Let me get this straight-

Posted Image

P/N 4- baseplate

P/N 1 (LH arrow)- Housing

P/N 2/3- mirror glass.

If so, baseplate and housing are side specific- cannot be interchanged?

Correct. But I'm not saying to take the right mirror's baseplate and put it on the left. I'm saying to take a LHD (Left Hand Drive - I think this is causing the confusion) vehicle's right side mirror baseplate, and swap it with a RHD vehicle's right side mirror baseplate, and same for the left side mirrors :)

Edited by Yuen

As Will said...you can modify them so you can see out of them, but you cant swap them side to side. Try swapping them Yuen. The mirrors & components are all handed.

Don't use Glenn's glasses to take that really good look, they are useless..!! B)

Tried the "new" glasses too.... :D nup....still wont work...you cant fix it by swapping anything from side to side.

Wunder if I should try my shades on ??? :P

Even a paper bag won't work for you Glenn. :P

As Will said...you can modify them so you can see out of them, but you cant swap them side to side. Try swapping them Yuen. The mirrors & components are all handed.

Glenn, you read my post below right? I'm not sure if everyone is answering my actual question - I know you can't swap a right baseplate with a left. I would find out myself if I had two sets of left hand drive and right hand drive mirrors but I don't!

Correct. But I'm not saying to take the right mirror's baseplate and put it on the left. I'm saying to take a LHD (Left Hand Drive - I think this is causing the confusion) vehicle's right side mirror baseplate, and swap it with a RHD vehicle's right side mirror baseplate, and same for the left side mirrors :)

are the mirror housings them selves,the same between a lhd and rhd car?If so Yuens method WILL work he will just have to get the appropriate BASEPLATES

are the mirror housings them selves,the same between a lhd and rhd car?If so Yuens method WILL work he will just have to get the appropriate BASEPLATES

No ...they are different

Let me get this straight-

Posted Image

P/N 4- baseplate

P/N 1 (LH arrow)- Housing

P/N 2/3- mirror glass.

If so, baseplate and housing are side specific- cannot be interchanged?

That is not an E36 M3 mirror, well not the same as mine anyway and mine are definately genuine BMW.

I will be attending the Albany meeting on Thursday and will have my car with me with the mirrors fitted, so anyone who is there can see the problem and try and help me sort out the problem.