Sign in to follow this  
jcerecke

My E30 won't start!

Hey,

Used my car on the weekend without any problems, then went out of town for 4 days and left the car behind, and now when I get back it wont start.

It's a 1985 320 e30. When I turn the key to on all the dash lights, light up, and the stereo comes on etc. But when I go to start the car, I can only hear a whirring sound ( I assume fuel pump) but nothing else happens. I've recently (a month or two ago) had the distributor cap, ignition leads and spark plugs all replaced.

Whats the most likely problem? Or what could I check to narrow it down?

Cheers

Nor will mine… Im blaming it on the rain. :mellow:

So your lights work and your radio works? Do you have an alarm/immobiliser?

If you can’t here the starter motor I would start there, check your igniter too.

Hey,

Used my car on the weekend without any problems, then went out of town for 4 days and left the car behind, and now when I get back it wont start.

It's a 1985 320 e30. When I turn the key to on all the dash lights, light up, and the stereo comes on etc. But when I go to start the car, I can only hear a whirring sound ( I assume fuel pump) but nothing else happens. I've recently (a month or two ago) had the distributor cap, ignition leads and spark plugs all replaced.

Whats the most likely problem? Or what could I check to narrow it down?

Cheers

Hello,

I am having a similar problem, mine was starting fine then one day nothing, the battery is fine as i switched with my other car. I can also jump start it. Does this narrow down the problem my mate said it sounds like the starter motor. How can you determine if it is the starter motor or the wiring (what tools would i require), is there a fuse for the starter motor?

Excuse me for chipping in on your post.

Regards,

Adam

If that was the case the stereo wouldn't work.

negative. My lights, worked, my radio worked, but it didn't seem to have enough power to turn over the car, I thought it was bizarre but the new battery solved everything. Somehow it remedied other things to, Eg, the windows never worked when the door was opened, new battery solved this, dont ask me why.

negative. My lights, worked, my radio worked, but it didn't seem to have enough power to turn over the car, I thought it was bizarre but the new battery solved everything. Somehow it remedied other things to, Eg, the windows never worked when the door was opened, new battery solved this, dont ask me why.

If its a auto try starting it in N, AS THE INHIBATOR SWITCH MIGHT BE PLAYING UP, MINE WAS DOING THE SAME THING

If its a auto try starting it in N, AS THE INHIBATOR SWITCH MIGHT BE PLAYING UP, MINE WAS DOING THE SAME THING

How do you fix the inhibitor switch mate?

How do you fix the inhibitor switch mate?

Search reveals:

click here

You can try find which relay you need to check (may be a fuse/relay)

Or you can also jump the wires like Cam and I did for my manual conversion.