Sign in to follow this  
petone

Rattling

Finally installed some subs in the boot and the boot rattles like crazy, easy fix or a mission? Seems like the lock but could be something else?

Edited by petone

but then agian they are new subs so i bet your cranking them hard!

once the novelty has worn off you will notice there wont be much rattling anymore

Na I'm pretty sure its not, coming from the back of the car. I had the subs for a while no decent amp to drive them got hold of a new amp which is makes em go way better.

Edited by petone

im clueless to wat it could be

actually u know it could be the tool kit!

excellent subs love a new amp!

boot badge? spoiler? if you have one. or maybe your number plate

or even you could have bad seals around your trunk?

number plate, the boot itself, theres not an aweful lot in there so thats likely...ask tim or someone with more bass...i find not having it up as loud helps....added to the fact i dont really care....you cant hear the rattling from inside the car can ya?

well have your sounds going and open the trunk and just listen to the rattle sound and it will come to you

and if it doesnt rattle wen the trunk is open obviously the problen has got to do with the trunk lid

Your rattle could well be the license plate or the actual locking mechanism if it's anything like the E36 ... cause when i had 4 subs in my E36 i had to get the locking mech stuffed with some foam or something ... i doni't really know what the guy did to it ... but it work ... and i would ask him but he's gone now ...

I would say the plate, or the lid itself. Try pushing down on the lid in different parts and see if it goes away.

If it's the lid, get some dynamat or similar and lay it over. You can also make a nice trim panel to attach to the lid, and stuff lots of foam behind it.

If not... how about the light assembly? I don't really have anything else in my trunk... it was the lid that rattled for me.

it will be the number plate and the bumber.

is ur's fL? also the boot lid will be. i solved the problem by putting a Mtech wing on it. but i take it you wont have much luck finding one.

line the boot with the rubber mat stuff. also in the mean time, get an old tea towel and make it the shape of your number plate and put it in between the number plate and car. this will stop it rattling.

the key here is dynamat / roadkill / dampening material.

you can even coat the back of your licence plate with it, i just got nice new roll of stinger roadkill pro which is enough to cover two crx doors, they aint small i can tell ya that :blink:

anyways with the foam its not really what your wanting, other than that gap invader sh*t, but then do you really want to do that and risk having to pull it all back out of the panels when they get kicked / rammed..

i am the rattle master, any sound.. ill hear it :mosh:

No its not FL, thanks for all the suggestions. I think its to do with the lock mechanism. It seems like the link arm that goes from the motor to the lock but I don't see how it can make that much noise. Its not the plate, it was originally but i managed to stop that. I pretty sure it something to do with inside the car, nothing like a spoiler or badge. I just have to go over all your ideas and see what works.

if its the lock and there is a bar, place some padding (quite small) behind the pad to stop it resonating against the bare metal, my latch cable was doing the same thing, bit of padding and bingo. :bowdown:

One more, for what it may be worth.

I have a E30 convertible with engine bay mounted battery; the battery space in the boot contains a lead weight ( to compensate for battery relocation?)underneath a pressed metal plate. Removing all this lot eventually revealed a small, noisy, spanner and a ball pen down in the bottom of this recess...

If you take the back bumper off and turn up your stereo you'll see a little flap thing on each side that will make a fair bit of noise...

i put sticky backed foam along the back of my number plate to shut it up...