Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

e46 key remote. not working

hey guys.

when i got my e46 i had 2 remote keys with it. the remote suddenly stopped working oneday about 3 weeks after i got it.

so i used the other key. now that has done exactly the same thing and i have been using it for about 3 weeks.

does anyone know what this could be?

i have a feeling that its not the battery as it didnt show any trouble before. it just suddenly stopped all together.

any ideas?

cheers oli

hey guys.

when i got my e46 i had 2 remote keys with it. the remote suddenly stopped working oneday about 3 weeks after i got it.

so i used the other key. now that has done exactly the same thing and i have been using it for about 3 weeks.

does anyone know what this could be?

i have a feeling that its not the battery as it didnt show any trouble before. it just suddenly stopped all together.

any ideas?

cheers oli

What shape keys do you have ??

Not sure why they would both stop working like that.

I was told that they re-charge while plugged into the ignition. The battery should be a "whole of life" rechargable type.

Only thing I would guess at is that your keys are not being re-charged while in the ignition (don't know what causes this).

I did read in the owners manual that occasionally you should use a key on a long drive to ensure that the battery doesn't drain down. If you are doing multiple short trips this may cause the battery to drain.

Hope this helps.

Not sure why they would both stop working like that.

I was told that they re-charge while plugged into the ignition. The battery should be a "whole of life" rechargable type.

Only thing I would guess at is that your keys are not being re-charged while in the ignition (don't know what causes this).

I did read in the owners manual that occasionally you should use a key on a long drive to ensure that the battery doesn't drain down. If you are doing multiple short trips this may cause the battery to drain.

Hope this helps.

Thats true for triangular keys with BME logo in the centre. However the batteries do sometimes fail and cant be replaced. Lets hope hes got the old style keys- fit new batteries & reinitialise

Thats true for triangular keys with BME logo in the centre. However the batteries do sometimes fail and cant be replaced. Lets hope hes got the old style keys- fit new batteries & reinitialise

my key is a diamond kind of shape with a bmw logo in the middle as the lock button.

are they prone to being fragile atall? i dont think its a flat battery issue if it charges in the ignition because normaly it would play up abit before hand i would have thought. and not just suddenly stop working

is there any way it may have unprogrammed itself?

Actually you can replace the battery in the new triangular keys ... they are just a bitch to open up and chances are you'd damage the plastic shell when opening them up. They aren't designed to be replaced and the shells are glued in place, but a battery is a battery and they can be replaced if you are desperate enough and can live with a slightly broken shell of a key.

Chances are it's a reinitialisation issue. I've got the procedure to do this, if you want I'll post it up, but I don't recommend it as you can do more harm than good if you don't know what you are doing. (I recall doing this myself once and I ended up writing out the original key and stuffing up the new key and ended up having no keys that worked .. LOL).

my key is a diamond kind of shape with a bmw logo in the middle as the lock button.

are they prone to being fragile atall? i dont think its a flat battery issue if it charges in the ignition because normaly it would play up abit before hand i would have thought. and not just suddenly stop working

is there any way it may have unprogrammed itself?

You have the new shape key (supposedly non replaceable battery).

They do actually just fail without warning, quite normal if the key have been mishandled in the past.

oh heck ... if you feel brave enough hehe .. here's a post up on how to reinitialise the key: Good luck:

If it just went dead when it wasn't used it needs to be reset.

Drive around with it for a couple hours to charge up the key

then do the following:

1. Have both Master Keys available

2. Enter the vehicle and close the doors

3. Briefly (max 5 seconds) turn the ignition on and off again

4. Remove key; press and hold "unlock" button. While holding "unlock" button, rapidly press "lock" button 3 times within a period of 10 seconds.

5. Release "unlock" button. The LED flashes slowly for a maximum of 10 seconds.

6. The central locking system activates and releases all locks in rapid succession to indicate that the initialization procedure has been successful. If LED continues to flash or if the locking system fails to respond, the initialization procedure will have to be repeated.

7. To initialize additional remote control keys (make sure that no more than 30 seconds elapse between each initialization procedure) repeat steps 3 and 4.

NOTE: The ignition does not have to be cycled on/off for additional key initialization.

oh and if it's a dead battery and you REALLY want to open up your key to replace it, the battery part number is as follows:

Panasonic VL2020

original post of a guy that opened one up (pictures are gone, but it can be done if you don't mind a slightly ugly looking key afterwards:)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=427754

Edited by M3_Power

I would suggest taking the 2 keys and car to Page European

Or give the re-initialisation a go... be friggen carefull though

Or give the re-initialisation a go... be friggen carefull though

Yep ... very easy to f**k up ...

Point the keys towards the rear view mirror for better reception.

well seeing that i have no working remotes i may aswell give it ago.

cheers for all the info guys

Give it a go mate, its not that hard you just have to make sure you follow the instructions. Ive done it plenty of times with e32's.

Once youve done it you'll wonder what all the fuss is about. 10 seconds is actually a long time to press a button three times !