Sign in to follow this  
wild_weston

Radio pics for Jochen

not to bad . can replace socket if needed from a donar radio, i have some in stock.

sorry to but in.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it.

It looks pretty minor.

The red bit is a fuse - replace it with a new fuse, check the fuse older still looks OK

Pick out the bits of broken off plastic and straighten any that aren't fully broken off

None of the pins look damaged - and they are really robust anyway

The locking pins for the connector lock are still present

It looks like it'll be fine - I've had radios in a similar condition and electrically they were still OK.

Just a little bit of broken plastic behind the radio, where it will never be seen...

I was worried the CD changer connector was damaged, but that is untouched

Be glad the damage was to the rear of the radio, and not to the front panel......

Edited by jochen

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it.

It looks pretty minor.

The red bit is a fuse - replace it with a new fuse, check the fuse older still looks OK

Pick out the bits of broken off plastic and straighten any that aren't fully broken off

None of the pins look damaged - and they are really robust anyway

The locking pins for the connector lock are still present

It looks like it'll be fine - I've had radios in a similar condition and electrically they were still OK.

Just a little bit of broken plastic behind the radio, where it will never be seen...

I was worried the CD changer connector was damaged, but that is untouched

Be glad the damage was to the rear of the radio, and not to the front panel......

Thanks for the, fairly, good news.

I'll take it down to a stereo installer so they can swap the parts (fuse).

I'll let you know how it goes.

Yuen - it was received like that from a seller in america. Looks like it got damaged in the post.

That's a bummer wild_weston - mine arrived in good condition. Was the packaging damaged??

If it's not useable, try talking to germanaudiotech about the insurance.

I'll take it down to a stereo installer so they can swap the parts (fuse).

I can tell you how to do that:

1. Put fingers on fuse

2. Pull out

3. Insert new fuse

Tools required: Fingers

Parts required: standard automotive blade fuse, 7.5A I think (its written on it)

You don't need to go to a stereo installer to do what you can do in 10 seconds with no tools...

I can tell you how to do that:

1. Put fingers on fuse

2. Pull out

3. Insert new fuse

Tools required: Fingers

Parts required: standard automotive blade fuse, 7.5A I think (its written on it)

You don't need to go to a stereo installer to do what you can do in 10 seconds with no tools...

Point taken, I'll start being a bit more hands on.

I've removed the old fuse (and all the bits of it I could find). I've also tried to straighten out the black plastic parts using needle nose pliers. It's looking a lot better now.

I will try fitting it again tomorrow afternoon. I'll just use the fuse out of my current radio.

Quick last question (hopefully), I was having trouble taking the black housing off the current radio before. I see that there are four circular holders outside the back of the radio fitting (on the black plastic). How do you get it to come off?

Before I pulled the radio out as far as it would go (about 2 cms past the back of the radio) then I levered it up with a screwdriver. The holders moved most of the way, along their tracks, but I couldn't work out how it releases. Was I just being a bit too gentle with it or is there some trick to this?

Thanks

Edited by wild_weston

That's a bummer wild_weston - mine arrived in good condition. Was the packaging damaged??

If it's not useable, try talking to germanaudiotech about the insurance.

Yup, could do with a bit more luck lately that's for sure.

Glad yours was all good though.

The parcel does look like it has taken a knock on the corner. I've sent an e-mail to the seller already. If it doesn't fir properly tomorrow then I suppose I'll just have to get a replacement or a refund.

Cheers

Have had the similar issues with a couple of nav units before - not packaged well enough & I reacon these postage pricks dropkick them all the way here :angry:

Just to clarify on the fuse front - Red = 10amp, Brown = 7.5

Have had the similar issues with a couple of nav units before - not packaged well enough & I reacon these postage pricks dropkick them all the way here :angry:

Bloody computers!!! Pushed the button several times cos it didn't work - at least thought it hadn't

I heard a story about the bad old days of NZ Post when every single item (package or letter made no difference) dropped down a chute 5 floors high. And that was regardless of the fragile stickers... Don't know how true it is.

Course I have also seen packages carried by DHL that looked like they had been dropped from 30,000 ft.... I did ask if they had a shortage of parachutes that day. :rolleyes:

It is a ten amp (it says it on the fuse). I thought it was a plug at first (that's why I'm a newbie to all this.

The guy has used scrunched up newspaper as packaging. There was lots of it but it's not the best for packaging.

Seeing as it was in transit for 6 days before it even got to new zealand gives you some idea how much the packages move around. It must have been loaded and unloaded numerous times and one time it obviously got dropped.

OK,

have straightened the back of the unit out now and put new fuse in. Looking a lot better.

Attached are the updated pics:

post-2940-1210574704_thumb.jpgpost-2940-1210574724_thumb.jpgpost-2940-1210574757_thumb.jpg

The fuse seems stable enough. The slot on the right hide side had been forced apart but I think I have moved it back as far as I can now.

Still one question outstanding from before:

What's the tirck to getting the current radio detached from the big black connector in the car?

Levered it up with a screwdriver last time and it got most of the way out but wouldn't move the final bit. Maybe I was being to gentle with it but don't want to break anything else.

Got a day off work tomorrow so going to try the install again.

Cheers

All I did was lift the plastic connector until the slots were lined up with the pins and gave it a pull. Admittedly, I did need to use a bit of force to lift the connector to the end, but it wasn't riduculous.

By the way - love the avatar! :D

All I did was lift the plastic connector until the slots were lined up with the pins and gave it a pull. Admittedly, I did need to use a bit of force to lift the connector to the end, but it wasn't riduculous.

By the way - love the avatar! :D

Cheers for that. I think a bit more force was neeeded.

Yeah, cool avatar. Took inspiration from yours. Had a discussion with the missus on grover. I said sesame she said muppets. Turns out we were both right.

Super grover rules!

SUCCESS!!!!!!!

Well on the third try anyway.

Got the old one out and plugged in the new one. No power at all.

So took it out again and compared everything to the old one. Also tried shaking the new one, was mildly concerned when another bit of black plastic fell out.

Noticed that even though I had moved the plastic back into place around the fuse - the metal parts were still quite wide apart (in their grooves). Got a pin and after a bit of jiggling managed to get them close together again. Reinserted fuse and tried again.

Everything is working fine now. Tried all the functions before I put everything back together.

Looks a lot nicer in the dash and the sound quality has improved a bit.

A big thank you to elmarco and particularily Jochen for all their help on this. This is the reason I joined the forum and it is paying dividends.

Cheers

Glad you succeeded! :D That black BMW connector, if it's anything like the one in the E36, needs to be attacked with a big flathead screwdriver. You get to the point where you're think you might break it if you go any further, and put a bit more force in it and the whole thing just suddenly snaps and disengages.

PS: What's with E46 owners and Sesame Street :ph34r:

Glad you succeeded! :D That black BMW connector, if it's anything like the one in the E36, needs to be attacked with a big flathead screwdriver. You get to the point where you're think you might break it if you go any further, and put a bit more force in it and the whole thing just suddenly snaps and disengages.

PS: What's with E46 owners and Sesame Street :ph34r:

It's because we're all a bunch of muppets! :wacko:

Nah really I think it's just an age thing. Everyone my age has fond memories of the muppets. About time they made a comeback if you ask me.

Elmarco had the idea first, reminded me about how cool animal was - hence the avatar.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!

Well on the third try anyway.

Got the old one out and plugged in the new one. No power at all.

So took it out again and compared everything to the old one. Also tried shaking the new one, was mildly concerned when another bit of black plastic fell out.

Noticed that even though I had moved the plastic back into place around the fuse - the metal parts were still quite wide apart (in their grooves). Got a pin and after a bit of jiggling managed to get them close together again. Reinserted fuse and tried again.

Everything is working fine now. Tried all the functions before I put everything back together.

Looks a lot nicer in the dash and the sound quality has improved a bit.

A big thank you to elmarco and particularily Jochen for all their help on this. This is the reason I joined the forum and it is paying dividends.

Cheers

No problemo - nothing like that feeling of beating the system, eh? Sometimes you just have to think like a german automotive engineer! B)

Glad to hear you have it sorted now. I reckon my new one sounds better too! Just a pity you aren't in Auckland - could have helped out (easier to demonstrate than to explain sometimes). Still, you should be able to explain it to someone else if needed now! ;)

It's because we're all a bunch of muppets! :wacko:

Nah really I think it's just an age thing. Everyone my age has fond memories of the muppets. About time they made a comeback if you ask me.

Elmarco had the idea first, reminded me about how cool animal was - hence the avatar.

Yeah - we are a bunch of muppets!!! Actually, it is about time they bought the Muppets and Sesame St back - good idea! Gotta love the Dr Teeth band, and Gonzo on the motorbike...

Can't really explain why I chose Grover - it was either him or Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake, and I'm neither a muscled up freak nor or an oil coated wrestler in skin tight lycra....