Sign in to follow this  
M325is

1988 E30 M3

Guest Spargo

Right, i'll go halves with anyone in akl thats keen.

Edit: no i won't! Cough glorified 325i cough

(Awaits J's reaction :lol: )

Edited by CiLK WuRM

no, it doesn't meet the laws because it doesn't have a drivers and passenger airbag as standard equipment.

Cheers

no thats not correct either, I have a 530V8 E34 that has driver and passenger air bags.

It is as simply as this...

New rules bought in in 2002, LTSA put it all back on manufacturers, all simply asked was this car tested to this newe standard (a standard created in 2000), and BMW simply said (for e30 and E34) - mate we built and tested these proto types back in the late 70's and early eighties. So no they do not met your new standard for 2002. But, it's likely they will met that standard, just not tested - and thats it period. The rest is legal crap, as some of these cars are fine, but becuase they were not tested at manufacture - you buggered.

Also - the 6 months oversee thing - I thought that was only for LHD, but maybe the case, but I'm sure that does not help when car is non compliant.

I'll let you all know...there is few options for getting non compliant vehicles on road here.

I have to figure out how to get E34 M5 on the road...

1 Very helpful if your Dad is director of LTSA - only person in NZ that can put anything on the road, a few court cases going on at present, so thats a bad idea.

2 Need support that your have a classic car and talk to director again

3 Wait till it's 20 yrs old

4 Buy a rooted NZ M5 - yeah right, you would only want to spend 2k

5 Swap all into my 535i

6 Non Compliant cars are parts cars, there is no reason why you can't argue that you are replacing the entire shell, say chassis bent, beyond repair, you love your car so much you want to replace the shell, either buy shell over seas or non compliant car that has shell, replace with that shell, a shell obvoiusly has a new set of VIN numbers, yet to test that one, just like changing doors or engine over etc - same principal etc

7 In NZ you can build a car in your back yard and get it registered - like beach buggee's, low volume builds, why can't you say out of many bmws you have built this "custom" vehicle and go down that track

8 This M5 apprantly one of 8 built for Naghi Motors, special trims and badging etc, so I'm going to have a crack with low volume > 150 made

And when you move into illegal stuff - well, you can do what you want

If anyone has had aNY EXPERIENCE OR SOME TIPS - PLEASE FILL ME IN.'

CHEERS

7 In NZ you can build a car in your back yard and get it registered - like beach buggee's, low volume builds, why can't you say out of many bmws you have built this "custom" vehicle and go down that track

I cant remember where i put my copy, but in last months performance car magazine they had a big thing on the compliance rules and regulations. The question was that a guy wanted to import an extremely modified series 4 RX-7. The LTSA guy was saying that you could try and claim its a home build, but he said hardly anyone could get it thru - because most cars from the 90s onwards arent "kit cars" (or words to that effect...) the impression he was conveying was that you wouldnt be able to tell the LTSA that (using their example) a series 4 RX-7 was a kit car...

Good luck man - an M5 NICE!!! I want one a...

My thought exactly, also what about when it comes to insurance. What happens when the person has an accident, and the insurance assessor investigates???

Dodgy owner: "Oh god... ive just written off my m3....oh god oh god oh god"

*wait! its insured!*

Dodgy owner:" hi there Insurance company i just wrote off my GENUINE M3, id like 60K please..."

Insurance company: " oh im sorry sir, weve only got a 1988 318i here, so heres your 3,995 dollars. thank you."

Dodgy owner: "oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god..."

Guest Spargo

Anyone seen it yet? Is it RHD?

Also, there's one in Autotrader this week for $16,500 or something, anyone looked at that?

I want an E30 M3 BAD!

Grant and I have had an e-wank over it, but:

It's LHD (good)

It's unable to be registered till 2011, and even then it needs to be exported and re imported

It's not got side skirts (dodge)

It's clearly had a respray (non factory colour)

It's a US M3, not a Euro (even E30 M3's were neutered in the US)

Front is sagging

Chrome around windows (why)

No history, and i'll bet it's been abused as a red headed step child. Still makes me want it (7 year restoration = Sport Evo replica)

Guest Spargo

But the black / grey one looks miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiint^N.

RHD, probably upwards of 30K. Easily.

Anyone seen it yet?  Is it RHD?

Also, there's one in Autotrader this week for $16,500 or something, anyone looked at that?

I want an E30 M3 BAD!

Grant and I have had an e-wank over it, but:

It's LHD (good)

It's unable to be registered till 2011, and even then it needs to be exported and re imported

It's not got side skirts (dodge)

It's clearly had a respray (non factory colour)

It's a US M3, not a Euro (even E30 M3's were neutered in the US)

Front is sagging

Chrome around windows (why)

No history, and i'll bet it's been abused as a red headed step child. Still makes me want it (7 year restoration = Sport Evo replica)

It also says that it is a 1990, and the guy swears it is one.

However, I got hold of the VIN Number, and the EPC says that it is a 1988 car.

It just doesn't add up.

Cheers

Steer clear - you get what you pay for. If you guys are SERIOUS about getting an M3 - I would advise a Northern Hemisphere sortie and bring one out. Store it, and put it on the road as and when. Treat it as a 30th / 40th .... birthday present.

Or, waste your money on the cr@p that we are seeing floating around NZ.

In summary, you shouldn't be able to get a RHD M3 for <$40,000. LHD may be a little cheaper, but most will be US spec.

J

The really depressing thing is not only can I not afford one now but they aint going to get any cheaper.

The really depressing thing is not only can I not afford one now but they aint going to get any cheaper.

in fact the value of the straight ones is going to go up as the years go by.... very collectable!

:D:D:D:D

:finger: :finger: :finger:

you lucky bugger!!!