Sign in to follow this  
bmanjoshi

Changing transmision

Hey there, im josh :D

I live out west auckland

I got a 1989 325i and the transmision in it has gone, i rung a few companys and they said it may be the A clutch or something, i dont know too much about it. Iv got it on trademe, coz i just dont have enough money to fix it, but i was woundering how much it would exactly cost to fix? and i ma :D y change my mind of selling it.

Hey there, im josh :D

and the transmision in it has gone, i rung a few companys and they said it may be the A clutch or something

where did it go? which companies did you call? could they not find it?

Hahaha I want some of what you're on tonight please Ollie? :D

Trade me usually has 2nd hand auto transmissions for sale.. around $300 - $500 last time I looked...

I reconditioned mine for around 2 grand last year.. Prices have probably changed and it really depends on what bits need replaced.. But that should give you an idea.

If you're thinking of keeping the car long term it's probably worth reconditioning it as you never know - the 2nd hand ones might be on their way out as well..

It's really up to you man ..

Good luck

Alan

Oh ok thanks man, is it difficult to swap the transmission to a manuel gearbox or is it just too much work and its not worth it?

Depending on how much you can do yourself, Its pretty easy more a time factor, you can pick all the bits up pretty cheap, but best to try the gearbox in the donor car first if possible, layshaft bearings are the main weakness in the manual boxes so best to check theyre ok and the synchros, before you hand over your penny's otherwise youll have a noisy time ticking box. But worth doing the conversion if you enjoy driving.

Things you'll need when you do it,

Pedalbox with master cylinder, manual driveshaft, gearbox, diff, flywheel, clutch, manual interior console (not too sure on the setup on the e30's interior wise). Thats all I can think of off the top of my head others may add to the list