Sign in to follow this  
chompa

E21 engine transplant.

long and short block is how complete the engine is. Short block will probably only be the block, crank, and piston assembly. Long block should have oil pan, head and all the valve train, and the block too.

Long block may or may not include the other bits like manifolds and various pumps and alternator.

Id just be after the most complete one you can find.

Oh fair enough! i thought maybe it was something to do with what wether the car came from us or uk...dif models lol... so m54b30 longblock for $1700 good price?

doesn't sound too bad, though I'd definately ring round a few wreckers. If it is just the long block (ie head, block, and pan) it could get very expensive by the time you've brought intake and exhaust manifolds, alternator, PS pump, cooling system, mounts, ecu and loom to run the thing.

That said, given that it a transplant and you want more power half that stuff I listed may end up being custom or from another motor anyway so could save you cash if you dont need it anyway.

Are you planning to run stock ecu or something after-market. I'm not sure how the aftermarket ones deal with double vanos, then again the factory one could cause all sorts of dramas with different sensors and EWS etc.

Edited by Mike

doesn't sound too bad, though I'd definately ring round a few wreckers. If it is just the long block (ie head, block, and pan) it could get very expensive by the time you've brought intake and exhaust manifolds, alternator, PS pump, cooling system, mounts, ecu and loom to run the thing.

That said, given that it a transplant and you want more power half that stuff I listed may end up being custom or from another motor anyway so could save you cash if you dont need it anyway.

Are you planning to run stock ecu or something after-market. I'm not sure how the aftermarket ones deal with double vanos, then again the factory one could cause all sorts of dramas with different sensors and EWS etc.

yeh that was going to be my next question...i really dont know regarding ecu, in the long term i would like run a ESS supercharger and they run off the stock ecu.. sooo not sure just yet, would love to use the stock ecu if possible...having sed that im not too confident i could run a ESS supercharger giving that i prob will end up having alot of custom parts...short term tho i just want the engine in and going, should haul standard anyway..

i completely missed this thread!

for your 10k budget my car could have been bought with a large chunk of change...this is why I snapped it up!

loving kerrys m50 idea...makes the swap much easier i imagine - have def liked the alloy block idea for a while.

FI is the best way to go on a limited budget - turbo m20 would pwn

Found a good e21 to use yet?

nah nothing around atm, saw a nice blue 323i few months back on TM but i still had my m3 then...would have bought it then and dont even think it sold? may still be in his garage as he was asking 3 grand i think...

if something doesnt come up soon im going overseas for a holi and will look again around november....

liam