Sign in to follow this  
SIKE30

clunking 318i

hi guys I have a 86 318i manual that starts to clunk and jerks back and foward when travelling at really slow speeds e.g. in traffic jams. and also somtimes wen downshifting and taking of. the clunking is coming from the rear.

Its so bad that it dont feel like driving the car anymore.

could worn subframe bushings cause this?

That will more than likely be the driveshaft donut - its rubber, in the driveshaft and costs about $170 from a dealer.

You will have to check, or get someone to check, driveshaft coupling, rear axle joints or driveshaft universals.

You will have to check, or get someone to check, driveshaft coupling, rear axle joints or driveshaft universals.

i'd also check the diff head bolts, they can work loose especially if its been out recently

I had the driveshaft out afew months ago to check what was causing this but couldnt find anything. the rubber coupling from, driveshaft to the back of the box was ok. and the universals wer ok. i held both ends of the driveshaft and tried to twist is in opposite directions it did not hav noticeable play.

could a worn diff cause this aswell? ill check the half shafts tomorrow.

so you guys dont think the sumframe bushes could cause this?

You normally notice the subframe bushes when cornering. More likelt to be the donut, or maybe the rear diff hanger bush could be broke, or those diff bolts. Also check your top shock mounts in the boot?

hmm i checked the rear shock mounts afew weeks ago they dint look bad. but there was a tiny gap all around the metal tube where the rubber attachs to it.