Sign in to follow this  
tonylauno1

E46 trailing arm & control arm bushes

My mechanic told me that my e46 trailing arm bushes needs replacing at $347+gst each.

What are these and is that a fair price?

The receipt I got from previous owner was Control arm bush set (Vierol 20-7069) was replaced for $350 so I guess the trailing arm bushes are different?

My mechanic told me that my e46 trailing arm bushes needs replacing at $347+gst each.

What are these and is that a fair price?

The receipt I got from previous owner was Control arm bush set (Vierol 20-7069) was replaced for $350 so I guess the trailing arm bushes are different?

The bushes are one of the pivot points of your suspension.

If they are worn then your suspension may squeak, or it may wobble as it doesn't sit right in the holder.

A wobbly suspension means uneven tyre wear and poorer road holding and poorer cornering.

BMWs do tend to wear through the bushes - it is a typical thing to replace at around 8 to 10 years old.

If you're doing the rear, consider getting all bushes (front and rear) all replaced at the same time. All bushes will be similarly old and worn. The handling will improve a lot with new bushes.

Think of it as nothing more than scheduled maintenance for your car.