Sign in to follow this  
elmarco

Calling database programmers...

Does anyone know the real difference (for the non-IT person) between Jade and .NET / SQL? Which is better to the layman (I am sure they both have die hard fans)??

Any comments / suggestions welcome.

If you've got questions about .Net / SQL feel free to ask.. but I haven't used Jade.

.Net / SQL seems to be in very high demand these days.

I am actually trying to work out the benefits and drawback to each system. We are selecting a computer system and I just want to know where we stand before we make a call either way....

I guess .NET/SQL is Microsoft based, so you would imagine that there are plenty of users and developers out there. Jade is a bit more of a proprietary system with smaller following (as far as I can tell) but I don't know where it's real strengths are.

Any ideas?

I havent used either of these, but just wanted to add that when I was at Unisys a couple of years ago they couldnt get .net/sql developers to save their lives there was such a shortage.

I have a c++ background but with the last 7/8 years doing solely sql development and was dead keen to learn but I was one person and they needed 20. They decided to forget the whole thing in the end and got a team in from India to do it all :(

.Net is certainly popular, but I dont know how many developers there are available at the moment. Im a contractor and we are turning work away there is so much about.

Are you looking to purchase a system, or are looking to select a platform to build one?

If you're purchasing already built system, I wouldn't worry too much about which platform its using, more important is how stable / mature the system is and how good is the support that the vendor can provide.

Are you looking to purchase a system, or are looking to select a platform to build one?

If you're purchasing already built system, I wouldn't worry too much about which platform its using, more important is how stable / mature the system is and how good is the support that the vendor can provide.

We are evaluating systems to purchase at the moment and have a few questions about using a proprietary less well known database, and the ease of integrating other systems (like sharepoint) that use SQL as a base. We are pretty sure Microsoft and .Net/SQL are not going away any time soon :lol: (and there are plenty of developers that know it around), but Jade is a bit more of an unknown I guess (as in, we don't know a hell of a lot about it - thats not to say it is better or worse than MS technology).

Yes vendor support is really important, but this is only one of a number of categories that we are basing the decision on. Don't want to be on the bleeding edge of it!!

Just thought someone might have some experience of both and could point out the important stuff.....

I'm a java developer but I know the Jade language, along with C# and of course SQL.

Jade (language not company) has it's advantages for developers since its an object accessed DB so there's quite a lot of flexibility.

IRC Jade (the company) is based in Christchurch so one would assume that you would get some decent vendor support.

Edited by Mr. Pink