Sign in to follow this  
ducatiss

Euro NCAP Test for E36 - This really suprised me!!!

Euro NCAP 64km/h offset Crash Test for E36

The 3-series' cabin became structurally unstable during the frontal impact and the driver ran a risk of life-threatening chest injury. The distance by which the steering wheel was displaced backwards posed further risks of injury, while stiff aggressive structures in the lower facia area also added greatly to the chances of the driver sustaining serious knee, thigh and pelvis injuries. In the side-impact test, protection for the driver's abdomen failed to meet coming 1998 legislation for new models.

Front impact

In the frontal impact, the 3-series suffered excessive movement of the screen pillar. The cabin became unstable, the driver's door lost structural integrity and the beam supporting the facia became partly separated from the car's side. The driver's door could be opened by hand after the test, but moderate force was needed. The passenger's door could be opened normally. The steering wheel was pushed backwards by 223mm (8.8in) and upwards by 14mm (0.6in). The impact resulted in excessive footwell intrusion, with the brake pedal being pushed rearwards by 321mm (12.6in). The standard-fit airbag triggered late and failed to offer adequate protection; the steering wheel also intruded too far into the car's cabin. This intrusion might have increased the probability of serious injury for different sized drivers or those in different seating positions. Neck protection was good. High levels of force transmitted via the seat belt, and the driver's chest hitting the steering wheel with sufficient force to bend it badly posed a high risk of injury. Facia-level intrusion and the instability of the cabin may have added to the level of hazard for different-sized drivers or those in different seating positions, so chest protection was down-rated to 'poor'. Had the impact occurred slightly differently, it could have caused greater facia intrusion. The driver's left knee struck the lower facia to the left of the steering column. Protection for that knee, thigh and pelvis was down-rated from 'good' to 'marginal': if the knee had impacted in a slightly different position horizontally or vertically, it could have hit the steering column or its adjuster locking bracket. The steering column, its adjuster or its mounting bracket could also have caused localised knee injuries. The driver's right knee struck the facia to the right of the steering column. Protection for the knee, thigh and pelvis was down-rated from 'weak' to 'poor': if this knee had been in a slightly different position, it could have struck a steering column stabilisation tube or a facia support bracket. Such rigid structures could also have been hit if the knee had penetrated the facia further. Furthermore, the column adjuster or facia brackets could have produced localised injury, as could the brake pivot or column stabilising tube. Excessive intrusion into the footwell presented a serious risk of foot and ankle injury. After the test the dummy's left foot was found to have become trapped between the car's firewall and the floor. Protection for the passenger was generally good, although forces transmitted by the seat belt could have caused chest injuries. Results obtained from the passenger dummy were not modified on the basis of any structural damage to the car.

Side impact

Side impact The driver's head and pelvis were well protected but the amount of protection provided for his chest was rated as 'weak', and for his abdomen, 'poor'.

Ref http://www.euroncap.com/tests/bmw_3_series_1997/15.aspx

Edited by ducatiss

No surprise because when the E36 was released in the early 90's the offset test would have been lower at 56km.

No surprise because when the E36 was released in the early 90's the offset test would have been lower at 56km.

Touche!

Maybe so but what surprised me was the amount of damage done - I did not expect the A Piller to fold like it did - it looked more like a Holden Barina than a BMW. To be fair, the the E46 does much better but I had always thought of BMW (and in fact all German brands) being class leaders in safety - after looking at the Euro NCAP site, this is arguably not the case.

Maybe so but what surprised me was the amount of damage done - I did not expect the A Piller to fold like it did - it looked more like a Holden Barina than a BMW. To be fair, the the E46 does much better but I had always thought of BMW (and in fact all German brands) being class leaders in safety - after looking at the Euro NCAP site, this is arguably not the case.

It's not maybe so, if you exceed the design parameters thats what you get. Late 80's, early 90's most testing for head on crash was square frontal at 50 km, BMW's testing did the offset frontal and increased the speed to 56km.

This dramatically increased the load, the E36 passed at this level which was above what was required by the law of the time.

Compare a car manufactured of similar year and it wil fare even worse, i know, i have a BMW crash test video tape showing all this.

My E34 was the best car in an offset crash in 1988 @ 56km, crash it at higher OFFSET and it wouldn't pass today.

It's not maybe so, if you exceed the design parameters thats what you get.

So the BMW's air bag is only designed to trigger at the correct time at speeds of 56km/h or less? I take your point about cars designed in the 1990's. However I would have thought that BMW would have attempted to exceed the 56km frontal test rather than just meet it. I mean being rated as 1 out of 5 is pathetic.

Edited by ducatiss