Sign in to follow this  
ronnie

fuel economy

:mellow: 212.9 per L :mellow:

makes ya wanna cry, i remember when 91 was 91c and 96 was 96c :(

I'm older than most coz I can remember when petrol was 50cent a gallon thats 4.5 liters for you young guys which would be about 11cents a liter :P

Guest Simon*

My running average for combined driving is 11.7l/100km

On longer trips I regularly get around 10l/100km (except when I'm in a hurry to get to Taupo it's about 12.5 - 13l :))

Round town I'm pleased with anything under 12l/100km

The M60 pulls along nicely still. 100km/h is just 2000rpm and the torque pulls you round town happily in 6th gear at 60km/h at about 1000rpm

However! It's very very easy to burn it quickly though and sometimes hard to resist the feel and noise

I'm surprised that the 328's don't get better figures than you guys have posted up

I'm older than most coz I can remember when petrol was 50cent a gallon thats 4.5 liters for you young guys which would be about 11cents a liter :P

yes petrol was 48 c a gallon and beer was 48 c per jug mind you my pay was only about 5000 a year

My running average for combined driving is 11.7l/100km

On longer trips I regularly get around 10l/100km (except when I'm in a hurry to get to Taupo it's about 12.5 - 13l :))

Round town I'm pleased with anything under 12l/100km

The M60 pulls along nicely still. 100km/h is just 2000rpm and the torque pulls you round town happily in 6th gear at 60km/h at about 1000rpm

However! It's very very easy to burn it quickly though and sometimes hard to resist the feel and noise

I'm surprised that the 328's don't get better figures than you guys have posted up

I wish I had a manual :(.

I wish i had higher gearing!

Any idea what diff ratio your 535is has ? Mine (late 1989) has a 3.45 and @ 100k's it's around 2200rpm, the M30 is hungry whatever ratio it has!!

Later model 535is had a 3.64 i think, quicker off the line.

Any idea what diff ratio your 535is has ? Mine (late 1989) has a 3.45 and @ 100k's it's around 2200rpm, the M30 is hungry whatever ratio it has!!

Later model 535is had a 3.64 i think, quicker off the line.

mines got (e34 535) a 3.91 in it.also does 2200 at a 100.problem is when we go up to 140 its turns over at 3600.

got a 2.97/3.07 both LSD that need a new home.

Edited by topcat

mines got (e34 535) a 3.91 in it.also does 2200 at a 100.problem is when we go up to 140 its turns over at 3600.

got a 2.97/3.07 both LSD that need a new home.

Surely with the 3.91 the revs would be higher at 100k's, or are you just being approx? Brent said if i change the diff it can be a bit buzzy, what do you reckon? Try a 3.6 or 3.7, are any around in LSD?

Just checked mine on the way back from the airport today. This tank is getting me 11.2l/100km around Auckland. That's the 540LE.

Onto my 7th tank of fuel in the VW, 5331km, so I'm averaging 888km per tank. I got 920km on the last one. The drive to Mystery Creek and back I averaged 5.2l/100km.

Guest Simon*

Here in the states the average price for gas is just under $4USD per US Gal (Remember that the US Gal is less than the imperial one).

They are moaning heaps about the price, which at the moment is quite expensive for them. With current exchange rates this is working out at $1.40 kiwi per litre.

I can remember when I was last over here about 5 years ago their prices were comparatively heaps cheaper than ours - now it seems less so

Here in the states the average price for gas is just under $4USD per US Gal (Remember that the US Gal is less than the imperial one).

They are moaning heaps about the price, which at the moment is quite expensive for them. With current exchange rates this is working out at $1.40 kiwi per litre.

I can remember when I was last over here about 5 years ago their prices were comparatively heaps cheaper than ours - now it seems less so

It is significantly higher in California that US$4 a gallon - but they have higher taxes on gas than elsewhere.

I remember Brook's old man complaining when it hit $3 a gallon, I had no sympathy for him!!

Cheers

Grant

Damn right 2 wheels 6 gears 73 kW and 0-100kmh = quick!

Not only is it more economical but it beats those traffic jams when were you last able to fill up for $30.00!

+1,

Got my Motorbike liscence and a Motorbike as its the cheapest, most enjoyable and fastest form of transport ATM.

Only costs me $26 to fill up and that gets me ~300km. Only problem is it not a Beamer.

Edited by Quailboy

Ironically I sold my 2 wheeler a couple of years back - it was going to end badly (either in hospital or jail) and was costing a bomb in insurance and rego for the 1500km per year it got used. It was an absolutely mint ZX7R - kicking myself now (well, not today anyway ;) )....

Actually wrong, the M52 engine was designed with economy in mind and does significantly better than the earlier M50 engines

And if yuo run it on 98 you should see at least 520 km from 55 litres - I get as much as 570 and I dont drive like a nana best range for an M52 is 2,000 to 3,500 RPM - if you do the maths that means it is MORE economical than running it on 95

Im curious to know why using a higher octane fuel means more economy? I've been running my 1996 323i with the 2.5L on 98 and went from Auckland city to Hamilton, Hamilton to Ngatea and then back to the city on around $80 which I thorght was great considering I had to show everyone along the way why my BMW is better than their Hondas

Im curious to know why using a higher octane fuel means more economy? I've been running my 1996 323i with the 2.5L on 98 and went from Auckland city to Hamilton, Hamilton to Ngatea and then back to the city on around $80 which I thorght was great considering I had to show everyone along the way why my BMW is better than their Hondas

You said it yourself, higher octane is more fuel efficient as you would've probably used more fuel for that trip running on 91 octane.

I think the higher octane fuel are more efficient as they have more inhibitors which makes the fuel burn for longer meaning more energy pushing on the pistons giving more power giving better fuel economy.

Welcome by the way :)

Yeah that makes sense. Plus running it on 98 gives it a lil more bang for buck;)

Hi Guys,

Just thought i would add my 2 cents worth. I have a 99 328i. The economy i get is a s follows. On a long trip from here (TGA) to wellington with 4 in the car and aboot full of luggage i reset the trip computor at home and achieve an average speed of 100kph, my fuel economy is 7.5l per 100 km. My urban cycle driving normally is 9.9 l per 100 k. I admit that my HP has been increased to about 205 hp but the economy is pretty good for a 2.8.Its cheaper to run than most of the 2.0l jappas.I also know of several 540 owners who have gained another 100km out of a tank of gas by the same method on a long trip.

Cheers

Yep I think its time I got rid of the car now and got a motorbike, I wont have to walk from my car to work which will be great, ride to the door!

4 stroke or 2? Havent got a bike licence so want something under 250cc

Edited by Chris C

I got a CBR250RR MC22 with 20,000kms for a very good price. Have great handling and fairly quick. Its great fun!

I would go with 4 stroke, engine last longer and have a more linear power curve. With 2 stroke its annoying and expensive adding oil to fuel and you have to get fuel:oil ratio just right. Although they do have much more power than a same size 4 stroke.

Also remember that with a bike, you have to buy gear- minimum being helmet, gloves, jacket, boots and probably pants.

Just spent up large today, bought:

Alpinestars leather jacket- $899

Alpinestars leather pants- $499

Alpinestars gloves- $140

Alpinestars boots- $250

Shoei helmet- $500

Total: too scared to calculate :( OUCH!