Sign in to follow this  
allan

Life Span

Hi have two Questions.

Alternator drive belt for e39 M54 motor what life span would you expect to get from one?

Can the tensioner's on these cause trouble?

Back ground info

Early last year, Jan, Feb I had it replaced by the dealer, 59,000km has now done 91,000k and on Monday started to squeal a little, Wednesday got a call from my wife to say the car wouldn't start. Found starter would not engage turn over the engine, starter would spin. Local mechanic jumped started it for me and I had the battery re- charged. Had a look at it myself and ended up replacing the belt. Am a little concerned that I still may have a problem once the new belt settles down and stretches a little. My reason for my concern is I can depress the belt if I apply pressure with my thumb to it between the alternator and power steering pump section of the belt is this normal or not?.

Thanks for any advice

Cheers Allan

i always thought the belt had to have some "play" as too much pressure on the alternator pulley puts too much sideways stress on the bearings which then give way and end up ruining the alternator....praps the alternator aint doing its job?Some belt sqeal is "normal" you can get some stuff to renew the grip ?or is this only applicable to v belts...Hope you get it sorted mate.