Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

E39 Drive + Play Install Help

Maybe Jochen or Hotwire can help me here..... :)

I have a Harmon Kardon Drive + Play to install to my 1997 E39 540i.

The options are FM Wireless ( Rather not )

RCA Input

Wired FM Modulator

So, my choices really are 'AV' Input or the FM wired Modulator, that plugs inot 'standard' type aerial socket.

I have the bits Jochen sent me to hookup the AV input, but am I right in remembering that it only is Mono?

If I go with the FM wired system, where do I find the Aerial socket - I'm guessing in the boot? If so, is the plug a 'standard' car stereo type, or am I going to need a special BMW plug/socket combo?

TIA

:)

Antenna connector is standard DIN type

For stereo AV in you have following choices:

FM modulator

CD emulator

Tape deck wiring

For mono AV in you can use TV AV input.

Antenna connector is standard DIN type

Thanks, this is probably the easiest route - where do I find the antenna connector - boot or dash?

I have read on USA forums that 'hot wiring' through the tape input gives poor quality sound, and if I go the CD input I guess I would loose the function of the current CD changer?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Thanks, this is probably the easiest route - where do I find the antenna connector - boot or dash?

I have read on USA forums that 'hot wiring' through the tape input gives poor quality sound, and if I go the CD input I guess I would loose the function of the current CD changer?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Hi,

You have ex-Japan E39 with TV/nav if I recall correctly.

Radio module is the lump behind the rear passenger seat trim in the boot.

Left hand lump = radio module (radio tuner), right hand lump = video module (TV tuner)

Remove boot trim to access: trim comes out as left+middle+right in one piece, can be angled under nav.

You can wire in parallel to CD and fit a relay with a remote switch that then switches the audio between CD and iexternal audio source.

Then either leave a CD fitted to the changer and hit 'play', the CD input will be activated, and then you just switch the audio to external. Or get a CD emulator, and have that included in the switch, so that you don't have to have a CD running all the time (ie: stops the laser running permenently)