Sign in to follow this  
ashok540

New old big beemer

Hi all, just bought a 1998 540i yesterday. What an engine! The irony is that the first news I heard on the Beemer radio was that fuel has gone up by 6c! :lol:

post-3125-1213491909_thumb.jpg

post-3125-1213492187_thumb.jpg

Edited by ashok540

Guest Simon*

Welcome and congrats on the new addition

The 540 is fantastic for putting a smile on your face! Don't worry about the gas - there'll never be a cheaper time to run a V8 mate ;) Do it now before nobody can ever afford it again!

Cheers

Simon

True that, we will be telling our kids about these magical cars that had eight cylinders. It could be worse, you could have ended up with a Holden.

Enjoy your car :D

True that, we will be telling our kids about these magical cars that had eight cylinders. It could be worse, you could have ended up with a Holden.

Never that mate!

Welcome mate, good call in my opinion.

Pics?

Enjoy your car :D

Haha we will be telling our grandkids about this magical thick liquid that came out of the ground!

Don't worry - the oil price will come down soon enough, I'm sure in 12 months it will be at a reasonable level again. Maybe not US$50 a barrel, but somewhere around $60 - 70.

Cheers

Grant

Don't worry - the oil price will come down soon enough, I'm sure in 12 months it will be at a reasonable level again. Maybe not US$50 a barrel, but somewhere around $60 - 70.

Cheers

Grant

my tui's handbook says [YEAH RIGHT]

my tui's handbook says [YEAH RIGHT]

Take my word for it, oil will not stay at anywhere near the price is currently is. In 12 months it will be significantly lower than it is now.

It is USD $50 - 60 higher than it needs to be due to the commodities speculation market - this won't last.

Also, the 60% non OPEC oil producing nations are all ramping up the the supply over the next while to attempt to curb prices.

China and India's (amongst others) governments currently provide large subsidies to their populations for oil based products, however they are now starting to remove these, and therefore curbing demand in these countries somewhat.

It is a spike, not a long term thing (although it may get a bit worse before it gets better).

Cheers

Grant

Take my word for it, oil will not stay at anywhere near the price is currently is. In 12 months it will be significantly lower than it is now.

It is USD $50 - 60 higher than it needs to be due to the commodities speculation market - this won't last.

Also, the 60% non OPEC oil producing nations are all ramping up the the supply over the next while to attempt to curb prices.

China and India's (amongst others) governments currently provide large subsidies to their populations for oil based products, however they are now starting to remove these, and therefore curbing demand in these countries somewhat.

It is a spike, not a long term thing (although it may get a bit worse before it gets better).

Cheers

Grant

I hope you're right Grant. If not by the time I can buy a nice car I won't be able to drive it!

Cheers

Grant

That matches what I've read. The interesting point (assuming price does drop) will be to see if the price at the pump drops commensurately... if Cullen is still in power it could just be an opportune time to whack some more tax on and pretend it saves the polar bears.

Also, saw in the paper yesterday that Saudi Arabia is adding 500,000(?) bpd to production - so not just non-opec

yup even the Saudis think the price is crazy and should be between 80-100 us a barrel

nice car by the way ^_^

Welcome fellow 540i owner!

Can't beat the feeling and rumble of that V8 eh!

Have had mine for 12 months now, it comes out in the weekend only, the On Board Computer tells me I have averaged 14 Litres per 100km, which is better than some sixes I could think of ( SUV's! )

Towed a car transporter trailer yesterday with a mates 1987 Merc 300TE wagon ( Read HEAVY ) on it, reset consumption reading, and it told me it did 18l/100km, so made not a lot of difference - that's the torque for ya!

-- in comparison, the owner of the Merc towed the trailer empty on his 2007 2 litre Focus, and it's OBC was telling him 20l/100km ! Poor thing must have been working hard!

The other thing I like about the 'old' Bemmer is the way everything still feels tight and all doors & interior hatches etc close with a real solidity.

Welcome to the club, enjoy it! :)

Edit for Spelling!

Edited by camera doctor

Thanks Guys, I am enjoying the car for sure. The acceleration is fantastic!

Anyway, I am also in the process of ascertaining the actual fuel consumption, I want to check this with BP 98 as well as Mobil's Synergy 8000 and see whether it makes any big difference. Don't trust the on board computer to be accurate on fuel consumption, so testing it the old fashioned way! Have filled up on BP 98 this weekend, should be able to get a good estimate by next Sunday. Will post it in here.

Probably the wrong section to ask this, but does it make any difference on what brand I put in as Radiator cooland and windshield wiper liquid?

Cheers.

Congrats on getting the new rocket.

Got me wondering if that motor will fit in the compact :D

Thanks Guys, I am enjoying the car for sure. The acceleration is fantastic!

Anyway, I am also in the process of ascertaining the actual fuel consumption, I want to check this with BP 98 as well as Mobil's Synergy 8000 and see whether it makes any big difference. Don't trust the on board computer to be accurate on fuel consumption, so testing it the old fashioned way! Have filled up on BP 98 this weekend, should be able to get a good estimate by next Sunday. Will post it in here.

Probably the wrong section to ask this, but does it make any difference on what brand I put in as Radiator cooland and windshield wiper liquid?

Cheers.

shouldnt matter about windscreen washer fluid,But if it says "intensive clean" on the tank do your self a favour and put some in (can be bought from dealer)Some say the coolant should only be BMW blue but the most important thing is you put in an antifreeze at the recomended proportions and change it regularly(2 years max)

shouldnt matter about windscreen washer fluid,But if it says "intensive clean" on the tank do your self a favour and put some in (can be bought from dealer)Some say the coolant should only be BMW blue but the most important thing is you put in an antifreeze at the recomended proportions and change it regularly(2 years max)

Interestingly, recently on our E39 I had to replace the washer pump - once I found the B thing :angry:

It was badly corroded & talking to the dealer - was told it is quite common on these - due to acidic nature of Bars Bugs - strange - I have always used this stuff on all my cars & never a problem.

With the replacement pump he shouted a bottle of genuine cleaner :) so I guess i will be using that in future

Interestingly, recently on our E39 I had to replace the washer pump - once I found the B thing :angry:

It was badly corroded & talking to the dealer - was told it is quite common on these - due to acidic nature of Bars Bugs - strange - I have always used this stuff on all my cars & never a problem.

With the replacement pump he shouted a bottle of genuine cleaner :) so I guess i will be using that in future

Hotwire - at the risk of 'stealing' this thread, any clues and hints to doing that job - I ned to do it as mine has stopped too! Due for a WOF next week, not sure if it is a requirement, but I noticed it is listed on thw WOF sheet - got past last time cause the light washers sprayed water onto screen!

How much was the pump?

Cheers

Thanks for the info. Went and bought a few bottles of the wiper fluid and intensive cleaning liquid.

Another question from a Beemer newbie:

I had a Jag XJ6 before this 540 and I had found that the reponse to pressing the accelerator was instantaneous. In the Beemer, I have found 2 things different:

1) There seems to be some 'play' on the accelerator before it bites. Is this normal for BMW or is it just a matter of adjustng the play?

2) If I stomp down on the pedal, there is a lull before the storm. I am not sure about this 100% but it looks like the car does not accelerate much until 3,000 rpm or so and then, it goes off like a rocket! Is this behaviour normal for a 540?

Hope some of you experts can shed some light on this.

Cheers.