Sign in to follow this  
ashok540

E39 540

Hi, can any of you tell me what is the quickest, cheapest way to gain more power/torque?

Does replacing the stock air filter with a K&N really make a difference?

How about the Unichip offered by Auckland Performance Tuning? Any one of you have experience with that?

Also read about some chips offered by a Christchurch company, apparently it works along with the standard ECU and gives more power, any one know about that?

Thanks.

Guest Simon*

A K&N panel will not make any difference. The stock intake and filter is good. You could go for a big flash cold air induction system for a minimal increase but may not really be worth it.

Some chips may be ok but you have to allow for the one size fits all factor versus a remap for your actual car setup.

There is lots of talk about them on the net so keep researching.

It's generally accepted on here that for this type of thing you see Gavin Bellars at Hi Velocity in Glenfield to get the most out of your car by means of dyno-tune.

Plenty of guys on here have had it done, I'm sure they'll pipe up on this thread soon enough :)

Oddly the UNI-CHIP isn’t a chip its a live tune ECU Interceptor or piggyback and has been superceded buy the Kiwi developed MAP-ECU system that is fitted to MR-E34's car.

Worth popping down to dyno day and finding out about.

As said don’t waste your money on a K&N panel. A nice enclosed POD filter will give you some nice acoustics and you may gain slight throttle response.

Great. Thanks for the feedback on the K&N filters, else I might have bought one today! Looking forward to the Dyno day (I assume you are talking about the one at Auckland Performance Tuning, Papakura)?

Cheers.

Thats the one :)