Sign in to follow this  
grkerr

performance chip????

Hi.I need help LOL........

I have a 1996 318 e36 and am wanting to put a Dinan chip in it.Everyone recons they increase HP etc so Im willing to give it a go.However reading instructions on how to go about ordering it is slightly confusing given what infos available.

I have gone into the "housing" where the ECU is housed.Theres two of them?

One up top and one below.The one on top has a number which goes something like 261 203 661.The one on the top has a number like 260 002 362.I think one of these units houses the chip, but which one the top or bottom ???

Any help is appreated.

Greg

Hi Greg, sorry don't know the answer myself, but if you haven't already, go to www.bimmerforums.com and ask around, or do a search there, I'm quite certain someone will be able to help you.

Hi Greg, sorry don't know the answer myself, but if you haven't already, go to www.bimmerforums.com and ask around, or do a search there, I'm quite certain someone will be able to help you.

Yeh just done that.Thanks......

bugger me bfc is wicked

Is your car manual or auto? Assuming it's auto I would not have though that chipping is going to do a hell of a lot for you. Chipping comes up fairly regularly on BS. I get the impression that results are mixed but generally not particularly impressive. There are a number of other mods to accompany chipping to give a collective noticeable gain. which can add to significant $$$

If you want more performance you are probably better off strating off with a larger engine for starters. 1.6 litres is not the best place to start if you want more hp. Search previous theads.

You want noticeable gains- trade in for a 325- you should notice something straight away

I agree with aros, first place would be to start with a bigger engine. I there is a big difference even between the 318 engine and the 320 straigh6 Vanos engine. In any case to get more power, you need. 1) more air, 2) more fuel, 3)an engine management system or ECU, 4) an engine which is not gonna blow up when you burn more stuff in it. :)

The chip is only the ECU i presume. You need to start with the air intake, (Free flow pod filter with cold air box), then you need to upgrade the exhaust (from as far back into the engine as you can get), THEN the chip, THEN you can upgrade the injectors, forge the pistons, increase airflow more with a turbo and intercooler... well you get the picture. This list goes on... THEN you gotta think about how you gonna keep this power on the road... well that's another story. But before you consider going down this path, you gotta think "what am I trying to achieve?" If it's the thrill and excitement of playing with your new toy.. :) which motivates most of us... yeah go for it.... spend the money, and the time. But if you don't have 1 weekend per fortnight free to spend on your hobby, and still want to have a car to drive to work, you should just put the money you gonna spend on all these mods on a car with a bigger, more powerful BMW designed and built engine.