Sign in to follow this  
far4ngn

LSD Maintenance

Guys

The LSD off the 318is was removed last year, I've still got the part (its was noisey) and wondering if I can get it overhauled and where in the Wellington region?

Cheers

Paul

Guys

The LSD off the 318is was removed last year, I've still got the part (its was noisey) and wondering if I can get it overhauled and where in the Wellington region?

Cheers

Paul

Standard LSD? Some LSD's are noisey under load as they are. (not much help to you i know)

Standard LSD? Some LSD's are noisey under load as they are. (not much help to you i know)

The guy to see is Miles Udy in the Hutt, Miles Udy Motors.

The guy to see is Miles Udy in the Hutt, Miles Udy Motors.

^

yip, lower hutt's gearbox guru, in victoria st, just off wakefeild st from memory

Guys

Just looking at the LSD out of the e30 318is and it's labelled at 3.64, searching the internet suggestes that this has been replaced from the 4.10...but I thought the latter was only from an E30 M3?

Do I get it fixed or go searching for a 4.10...the info below sounds as if a 3.64 is better anyway.

From the M42club.com:

If anything it makes it that much more fun to drive because you can beat on it for longer in first and second gear without having to shift all the time. You won't notice a drop in acceleration but you will be able to run second gear all the way to 63mph vs 55mph with 4.1. Driving on the freeway is much easier on the ears and you pick up a couple of MPGs. I'm keeping my eye out for a 3.64 lsd now. I think BMW intentionally hampered the car from the factory with the 4.1 in order to differentiate it more from the 6 cyl and justify the price difference.

Worse acceleration, better fuel economy with a longer diff.