Sign in to follow this  
QuickSilver

Quick help needed - please!

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen.

Car:

1987 e30 320i

Manual

4 door

Problem: This began yesterday morning, (bearing in mind not a single problem on sunday) In the morning when I went to start my car it had difficulty starting, it would turn and slightly catch and keep turning, eventually it sparked into life, so I dismissed this and thought it was due to it being very cold. Upon reaching the first hill, changing down into second to go up the hill there is absolutely no power, I put my foot down and it just splutters, the only way to describe it is a combination of acceleration and stalling fighting between themselves, the car does not die but just struggles to accelerate. I pull over to see whats goin on, Idle is fine, but when I blip the throttle (in neutral) the car almost dies and then revs, decide to drive home to be safe, and on the way this totally dissappears and the car drives as if nothing had happend all morning. So I risk driving to where I was going, no problems, drove back, no problems, drove about 4 hours later, no problems.

This morning, starts fine, but then this whole thing repeats itself, and then goes away again. What the hell is going on!?

My initial thought was fuel starvation, this would explain the difficulty to start yesterday morning and the running, I cant however figure out why it would go away, and then the car started fine this morning.

Is this a fuel pump( s ) issue, I know they have an external and an internal one.

NOTE:

Recent repairs/work I have carried out, has been new Idle control unit and a few new hoses, and I cleaned the throttle body and set the TPS correctly. This was about a week ago and I havn't had any problems since. Until now that is.

Has anyone got any clues as to what could be causing this? I need to fix this asap as this is my daily car.

ANY help appreciated!

THanks,

Alex.

Edited by QuickSilver

Check fuel pressure or could be a sticking airflow meter vane. Sticking when cold.

Thanks Glenn I will, I would have to wait until its stone cold again though wouldnt I? Does this sound fuel related or air/vaccuum or thermal?

Check fuel pressure or could be a sticking airflow meter vane. Sticking when cold.

Ooops

Take it off and put it in the freezer for a few minutes then check and see if it sticks

Edited by botanymotorworx

my 535 did this...was the rotor and dizzie cap

That too, but I think he has changed that. I posted prices for new ones a couple of weeks ago. That will cause the same problem.

A thats a great idea I shall go and try that right now.

Have you replaced your buggered dizzy cap & rotor yet ???

Have you replaced your buggered dizzy cap & rotor yet ???

It wasnt me who replaced the dizzy/rotor mine look really good, points are still nice and thick and I cant see any wear on the rotor, Ive put on my spare (working) afm in and replaced the fuel pressure reg with a good condition one I was planning to put in anyway, so tomorrow morning I will see how this goes. I will check my dizzy and rotor again tomorrow. How likely is it that it would be the dizzy? Can they just randomly start to fail?

Cheers,

Alex.

This morning the car was fine, it must have been either the AFM or the fuel pressure, I did have a look inside my old fuel pressure reg and it was a bit funny looking inside compared to the better one.

Thanks Glenn you were spot on! I really appreciate the help!!!!

Alex.