Sign in to follow this  
RvT

Tinted Tail Lights - Will they get thru a WOF OK ?

Looking at buying this set of tails ex US but not sure what the regs are for WOF etc. Will they fail a warrant ? Lights are OEM but have had a tint professionally applied.

Quick thoughts please as they may sell quickly over there

post-33-1213774740_thumb.jpg

If I remember correctly the break lights have to be seen clearly from 100 meters away.

Edited by Nick021

Looking at buying this set of tails ex US but not sure what the regs are for WOF etc. Will they fail a warrant ? Lights are OEM but have had a tint professionally applied.

Quick thoughts please as they may sell quickly over there

Don't do it!

It may gain you a WOF, but you will lose a whole lot more in credibility

OEM lights are all good, but your not allowed to apply a tint. Hasnt stopped several of us going all red on the rears and Ive never been failed a wof on it.

Dont know about the all black look though. Are you a 6'8, 20 stone fella with bling earrings and lots of girls ?

I used to have a set of tail lights with smoked indicator sections that I tinted with VHT Niteshade, and they flew through every WOF, they were never brought up as an issue. They weren't as dark as the ones in the picture though.

At the end of the day it should come down to how much output and the colour they let through and not their appearance. But I'm sure some WOF inspectors will try to give you grief.

P.S: I've seen some cars around Auckland with headlights with that level of tint, I don't know how they go through a WOF!

my e36 has flew through 4 WOF's with tinted tail lights, and they are pretty dark...

Dont know about the all black look though. Are you a 6'8, 20 stone fella with bling earrings and lots of girls ?

lol Didn't realise you knew me that well !!!

I am in 2 minds now and the "credibility" comment was a good point. They look Ok but they do a less tint version (25%) which I may hang out for. Want the car to look good but not to draw attention to the point where it may be singled out and coined by some jealous git. Stealth is good.

lol Didn't realise you knew me that well !!!

I am in 2 minds now and the "credibility" comment was a good point. They look Ok but they do a less tint version (25%) which I may hang out for. Want the car to look good but not to draw attention to the point where it may be singled out and coined by some jealous git. Stealth is good.

Ron, if I were in your shoes and going for an aggressive but classy look I would consider OEM Hella smoked tails. I remember they did them for the E39 so did a search - here you go:

Posted Image

There are legal requirements that are supposed to be met with all vehicle lighting functions - and aftermarket tinting / light skins are not legal... Having said that, the WoF guys may not pick it up if the colour is correct and they think it is bright enough (obviously by eye not an actual measurement). Even if the car gets a WoF, I believe the Police can order it off the road if they think it is unsafe and you may need to prove it meets the photometric requirements.

You might find the rear fog function is on the wrong side too - sometimes it is only included on the driver side (LHS in this case) although it can be used on both (not sure if this will have it on both or not).

I'm really liking the stealth look Ron, that looks hot! Plus your car looked so so so good looking through my rear view mirror the other day! Was good to catch up with you

Ron, if I were in your shoes and going for an aggressive but classy look I would consider OEM Hella smoked tails. I remember they did them for the E39 so did a search - here you go:

Posted Image

Yip ... this what I was thinking too. They look classy against the Sapphire Black without drawing attention from the people who don't appreciate BMWs.

Thanks everyone for your imput

Riley, as per usual I was late for the game so sorry I couldn't take you for a spin. Will make some time so you can experience the ride and then focus on your next mark ... a Beast :)

I assume youve seen these ?

eurolights

I can recommend the trader, a mate bought some (which turned out to be the wrong ones) but they replaced and shipped new ones straight away.

Stealth look looks wicked.Do it.

Just swap them round for WOF's? Car's too classy to be pulled over <_<

Believe it or not if was infront of you again today Ron, driving into town just after lunch i was driving my silver Subaru wagon :)

You should come on the BMW car club Cruise this weekend to Hanmer ?

Edited by Riley

I assume youve seen these ?

eurolights

I can recommend the trader, a mate bought some (which turned out to be the wrong ones) but they replaced and shipped new ones straight away.

Saw those but he wants $375 + 40 shipping. Found some on fleabay for $US150 + ship so was thinking about them. The blacked out ones in the 1st post are $US200 and S/Hand.

Penry ... How did they look in smoke, like the Hella ones? The Hella looks nice but at $500+ not sure if the cheaper ones will have the same effect ???

Edited by RvT

Believe it or not if was infront of you again today Ron, driving into town just after lunch i was driving my silver Subaru wagon :)

You should come on the BMW car club Cruise this weekend to Hanmer ?

You must have been motoring as I was passing a few cars :) Having some radar issues at the moment as have just found out that my windows have option "356 - Climate Controll Windows". Basically radar and GPS radars get a munted reception. Has suddenly changed my driving style till I regroup and rethink my options ....

WTF ... this Sunday I was taking some kids (billets from Oz) to Hamner for a swim. Didn't know about the BMW CC event ??? I had better not overtake them or they might be pissed .... :)

Penry ... How did they look in smoke, like the Hella ones? The Hella looks nice but at $500+ not sure if the cheaper ones will have the same effect ???

Sorry Ron, I shouldve explained it better. My friend got some front headlights but didnt think he had xenon so didnt buy with the new ones to handle it. When they arrived and he tried to fit them he found out he did have it but they were superb and sent another set out after sending him all the details on how to identify the different types.

I cant recommend the seller highly enough, they were brilliant.

Have you tried the dealers? When I got mine for the 7 I had prices from the State, UK and Germany and went in to find they were cheaper here ! Was a big surprise and personally I think the guy made a mistake and gave me the pair for the single price, but I wasnt going to hang around I just paid for them and left.

Have you decided on smoked or black?

Have you tried the dealers? When I got mine for the 7 I had prices from the State, UK and Germany and went in to find they were cheaper here ! Was a big surprise and personally I think the guy made a mistake and gave me the pair for the single price, but I wasnt going to hang around I just paid for them and left.

Have you decided on smoked or black?

I have decided not to go black in the end as it was too dark IMO. Looking now at tinted lens and options. Were yours tinted and did you get them from the BMW dealer or from Hella direct?

No I didnt get the tinted ones just the clear/crystal indicators for the e38. I dont think Ive seen a tinted set of those actually.

I got mine from Jeff Grey. They had given me a price before and it was 850 and I worked out I could get them off ebay for 450. When I finally did it I was in Jeff Grey for something else and casually asked the price to be told it was 425 and they had them in stock so I just gave him my credit card and kept my mouth shut.

Im sure he charged me the single price by mistake but I wasnt hanging around to find out.

I have decided not to go black in the end as it was too dark IMO. Looking now at tinted lens and options. Were yours tinted and did you get them from the BMW dealer or from Hella direct?

Go direct to Hella if you can... (09) 577-0000