Sign in to follow this  
rowanhol

e34 m30 running rough the died

hey guys my 535 started running really rough while driving through town the other nite especially under acelleration, sounded like it wasnt running on all cylinders. it got progresively worse and within a couple of minutes was undriveable so pulled over and it died.

i could restart it but it would only rev up to 1500 rpm with my foot flat and would die if it tried to idle.

at the time i wasn't thinking right so didn't think to check the exhaust for steam ie blown headgasket.

i'll start it up and check it out when ive got some time this weekend but what else could/should i look for?

thanks

First check would be that the ecu etc has got 12v, the relay that supplies the voltage can fail with bad contacts, resistance increases causing low voltage to ecu.(i had this) Could be a truck load of other things, need to eliminate one at a time.

check the dizzzy for water etc .

check fuel pump and relay

check the dizzzy for water etc .

check fuel pump and relay

yes my thoughts exactly

ok thanks guys, will check it all out this weekend, hopefully it's not the headgasket

ok thanks guys, will check it all out this weekend, hopefully it's not the headgasket

The engine management sensor can cause problems like this. It is the blue one in the thermostat housing. Should have around 2.9K ohm resistance when cold, and this figure drops as the engine warms up.

Guest Simon*

hey guys my 535 started running really rough while driving through town the other nite especially under acelleration, sounded like it wasnt running on all cylinders. it got progresively worse and within a couple of minutes was undriveable so pulled over and it died.

i could restart it but it would only rev up to 1500 rpm with my foot flat and would die if it tried to idle.

at the time i wasn't thinking right so didn't think to check the exhaust for steam ie blown headgasket.

i'll start it up and check it out when ive got some time this weekend but what else could/should i look for?

thanks

Rowan didn't this happen to your last car too mate?

Who have you pissed off?!!! ;)