Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

Drum to disc conversion questions

Guest Andrew

Well i'm here taking it all apart - yet i'm still not sure if I need to change the master cylinder. My master cylinder looks exactly the same as the one I got- same brake lines and everything.

Any thoughts?

The car i'm working on 84 320i - donor car was 88+ 316

316 master cylinder + booster :

post-6-1090717177.jpg

Guest Andrew

and what you can see of the 320i one - you can see the brake lines are the same - its just there is so much crap in the way of the master cylinder I don't wanna take it out.

post-6-1090717237.jpg

they should have the diameter printed on the outside...22mm or so for the stock e30 one....i dont think the MC controls bias...the rear brakes are smaller so have less braking anyway....why dont you try it with the one in there...i dont imagine it would give too much rear bias and f**k up.....maybe too much front but hey....im coming over soon anyway...will talk sh*t then

Guest Andrew

wouldnt you just be able to check out a car with them and compare?

I have all the parts from a car with all discs.

post-6-1090811213.jpg

you echoed me graeme....that and a pipe wrench came into my conversation with andy

Guest Andrew

Just bung them on Andrew, they're only brakes.......what's the worst that could happen????? :unsure:

You should see the damn tangle of vacuum hoses in the L-jet 320 - i reckon everything from the throttle body down to air box will need to come off to get out MC and booster.

Anyhow - it appears the knowledge from r3v think it needs to be changed.

I put disk on the back of mine and left the existing booster/master and have had no worries passed 2 W.O.F checks no questions. I agree with Gus and Graeme, and from experience don't start playing with that tangle of vac hoses little leaks are friggin hard to find....

Guest Andrew

I put disk on the back of mine and left the existing booster/master and have had no worries passed 2 W.O.F checks no questions. I agree with Gus and Graeme, and from experience don't start playing with that tangle of vac hoses little leaks are friggin hard to find....

interesting - did you have a 17 or 22mm MC?

Not sure but I would assume that it will be standard for 320i which I think is 22mm but could be wrong will have a look tonite

22mm but I don't think it would make any difference I'd just fit the disks and leave it..

Guest Andrew

Well FYI and anyone else doing this swap - you do not need to change the MC. In fact the hardest part of the swap is getting all the fuel out of the tank to remove a fuel line. We just took fuel from the fuel rail return line (after the pressure regulator) and jumpered some pins on the fuel relay and let it pump it self out - you may want to connect the battery before you undo a fuel line ^_^

hint: it .. takes.. ages.. hah

post-6-1091749943.jpg