Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

I found this interesting

It seems that the oil consumption is all over the place for the M5. I spend most of my idle time "learning" about my beast on the M5board.com as there are so many posts about it. Some guys quote a liter every 1500miles while others hardly need a drop. They use more in the break in period and as the car wears in, uses less. Some M5s have had a very stable run in especially in the first 1500 miles and don't need oil. Others say the usage is related to how hard the car is pushed at 8,000RPM.

In my beast, I have now done about 4,000 km and has been used for a lot of spirited driving as most of my friends want a passenger drive and it is hard not to let them feel the hp without sitting at 7-8,000 RMP. After that is is a matter of toilet paper clean up :) Back to the oil usage ... mine hasn't needed a refil so I am just lucky I guess. The electronic level says I have used .2 or a litre so that is fine by me.

One last comment, the M5 is a highly strung motor with obviously some complexity in the design. I am glad I can enjoy the beast while it is still young and nothing aged on it. I think about the owners of the same car in 5 or 10 years time when the car has dropped in value and becomes "affordable". Most drivers of the M5s are buying it now for the sheer acceleration and excitement, not to be driven quietly. These cars are going to be a nightmare when the kms are up to 100k say and the SMG gearbox gives the driver a Red Cog of Death. The gearboxes aren't very repairable now and cost megabucks to replace. Would you pay $20k for a gearbox ? On the otherhand, I can not get over how much power this beast has.

I was under the impression that M cars were fitted with engines typical of a race car and even race cars have been known to suck a drop or two of the sweet sweet fully synthetic.100HP per 1000cc x N/A = oil consumpstion

I believe Mitsubishi also say that 1l / 1000km is acceptable - so it isn't just BMW. I personally would not be happy with that (although my 330 uses about 0.25l / 1000km) and it probably says something about the black oil shitstain up the back of plenty of Mitsi's...

I had a new 320i as a rental in Germany 2 years back. I filled up with gas, and popped the lid for a quick look before thrashing the nads off it on the autobahn and there was no oil on the dipstick! No oil warning lights, but a dry dipstick... Scary stuff! Took 3 litres of oil before I was comfortable leaving.

Most engine manufacturers accept 1 litre per 1000 kms as an acceptable margin of oil consumption. Most if not all engines burn a little oil. However I personally think that 1.5 litres per 1000 km's is excessive.

wow, i wouldnt be happy with that..