Sign in to follow this  
madracer

what size tyres?

bmw chch have told me that my tyres are too small for my rims so some new tyres are due.

currently i have 225 45 r18.

questions i have are

should i fit the same size tyres on the front and rear wheels?

what size should i fit?

any particular brands and dealers recomended?

i have a 98 540 with m sport rims (i think) they look like the ones in the e39 artical.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....st&id=15250

Need to know the wheel width but I would assume that they are 8 inch (those alloys are the same wheel as mine) If so - then 235/40 18 is the correct one.

If all rims are the same size - then yes - same tyres all round.

From memory the M5 E39 had 8.5 inch rears & 255/35 18 tyres

Check with Jonno (zeneti) on here -think they have a branch down your way

I am running 18" x 8.5" rims with 225x40x18's on the front and 255x35x18's on the rear.

That's on an E36 coupe, mind you I had to flare the rear guards to fit them in.

FYI

All E39 M5s are fitted exclusively with 18-inch M Parallel Spoke II cast alloy wheels featuring a Satin Chrome finish. These wheels, which measure 8x18-inch (front) and 9.5x18-inch (rear) and wear staggered 245/40ZR18 (front) and 275/35ZR18 (rear) tires, are specific to the E39 M5

Hi there fellow Cantabrian

I have a 99 E39 540 with 18" rims and running 235/40 ZR on 8" fronts and 265/35 ZR on 9" rears. She tracks really nicely with this configuration although in saying that its due for an alignment.

On purchase ex Japan it was fitted with a weird mix of Pirelli P7000 fronts and Bridgestone G3 rears. I put up with these until one didn't make it past a WOF so decided to replace all four. To keep the car all Euro I chose a German brand, Fulda, and the Exelero model which is one of their high performance tyres.

It depends on whether your rims are different widths. If they are the same all round you should run 235/40R18's. If they are different widths run 235/40 and 265/35r18 tyres as suggested by the other guys. We have a store in chch, flick me a PM and I will be able to quote you some prices.

cheers

Johno