Sign in to follow this  
kiwiland

Analogue/Digital TV

Noticed a fair amount of traffic on the USA Boards about the upcoming ceasing of analogue Tv transmissions in the States and the subsequent need to change their TV modules to a digital type if they want to continue to watch TV. Also noticed that in July 2007 our old friend Jochen was advertising on Trademe that he could reprogramme any TV module to receive all the freeview channels (which are digital are they not). Does this mean that our TV modules, for example mine on a 2001 E39 ex Japan are hybrid in that they can be set up to receive either TV mode? Can Jochen or somebody clarify this please

Edited by kiwiland

I believe that when Jochen was saying 'freeview' that he meant the free to air channels and not the 'freeview' digital channels. Im happy to be proven wrong but currently you need a sky dish to get DVB-S but now the DVB-T signal is being sent out I think you still need a digital decoder to receive that signal.

My understanding is that the 'normal' signal you get into your tv at the moment will be available for some years to come.

It does make me wonder about whether we can use the DVB-T signal in the car though. There are plenty of decoders you can buy in the UK for it over there. I wonder if they would work over here.

Noticed a fair amount of traffic on the USA Boards about the upcoming ceasing of analogue Tv transmissions in the States and the subsequent need to change their TV modules to a digital type if they want to continue to watch TV. Also noticed that in July 2007 our old friend Jochen was advertising on Trademe that he could reprogramme any TV module to receive all the freeview channels (which are digital are they not). Does this mean that our TV modules, for example mine on a 2001 E39 ex Japan are hybrid in that they can be set up to receive either TV mode? Can Jochen or somebody clarify this please

Hi,

NZ analogue TV will continue to around 2012 to 2015. The broadcasters will make a joint decision once the penetration of digital receivers has reached a high enough level (around 75% of the population I think is the trigger point) as to when they switch off analogue

I can reprogram any BMW TV module to make the TV work when the car is driving (TV-in-motion), which is totall diferent to Freeview.

Your 2001 E39 can be made to work when the car is in motion, but cannot view the Freeview DVB-T signals using your existing analogue tuner, as the BMW analogue TV tuner cannot receive digital signals. Even the newer analogue+digital 'hybrid' tuner will not work in NZ on the NZ digital TV signals.

About Freeview

Freeview terrestrial signals in NZ uses DVB-T MPEG4, also known as DVB-T HD.

The standard BMW Hybrid TV tuner can receive DVB-T MPEG2, but not MPEG4.

So the hybrid BMW TV tuner cannot work with the NZ digital Freeview terrrestrial TV service.

However, fear not. You can fit a standard Freeview HD settop box (the DVB-T box) to your BMW, and cable it to the AV-IN of your BMW TV tuner - in essence, connecting it the same way as your connect it at home on your TV. You then can watch digital TV in your car.

Over time, I expect you will see some native 12V digital tuners being made available for in-car (or caravan or boat) use. These also can be readilly cabled in to make them work.

But it is a gamble to get anything from overseas, as the digital TV systems are quite different, and you may find a UK box won't work here. USA box won't work at all, as they have a totally different ATSC digital TV standard.

I believe that when Jochen was saying 'freeview' that he meant the free to air channels and not the 'freeview' digital channels. Im happy to be proven wrong but currently you need a sky dish to get DVB-S but now the DVB-T signal is being sent out I think you still need a digital decoder to receive that signal.

Correct, a digital receiver is required to receive the digital signal (just like ana nalogue receiver is needed for the analogue signal)

My understanding is that the 'normal' signal you get into your tv at the moment will be available for some years to come.

Also correct. You've got between 5 to 10 years of analogue TV left, maybe longer.

My understanding is that the It does make me wonder about whether we can use the DVB-T signal in the car though.

Yes you can fit a Freeview HD receiver to your car and connect it to the AV-IN of your existing BMW TV system. Easy.

There are plenty of decoders you can buy in the UK for it over there. I wonder if they would work over here.

No they won't because UK uses DVB-T MPEG2, and NZ uses DVB-T MPEG4. The UK is starting to experiment with MPEG4 but it is not available as a public service yet.

So don't buy a digital receiver from the UK!

The NZ Freeview digital TV specifications are here:

Freeview DVB-T specifications

Edited by jochen

No they won't because UK uses DVB-T MPEG2, and NZ uses DVB-T MPEG4. The UK is starting to experiment with MPEG4 but it is not available as a public service yet.

I reallised this just after Id posted, I think the only other country using mpeg-4 is France. There was a big fuss in NZ when they released that we would be using mpeg-4

Thanks guys for the info, looks like the analogue system will see me (and the car) out

We are working on one in Brendons car at the moment. Still have to do some more testing .. but ill be porting it to my setup when I settle on the parts needed.

Have done a hex dump of most of the soft buttons in the car and can control a laptop using my standard stereo / steering wheel controls over ibus.

Will let you all know how I get on.

Will let you all know how I get on.

Please do because I (and a couple of friends) are VERY interested in how you get on Josh.