Sign in to follow this  
swiggs

m60 cooling problem

My 95 740 is doing something weird with the engine temperature. When im driving in the cooler temperatures ie night driving. the faster i go the cooler the engine seems to get. For example driving calmly at 70km it sits at the mid where it should, but from there it just seems to cool down till when i get to around 160ish its sitting just off the cold

why would it be doing this?

My initial thoughts would be that someone may have taken the thermostat out to try correct an overheating issue, or it has failed and jammed open. I would also suspect you would be using more petrol than you should.

My bet would be to replace the thermostat.

well to me it doesnt seem to be using to much fuel. but the strange thing is that it runs at normal operating tem and all that when running round town and at normal speeds when its warmer. im lost

well to me it doesnt seem to be using to much fuel. but the strange thing is that it runs at normal operating tem and all that when running round town and at normal speeds when its warmer. im lost

The forced airflow at 160kmph is providing more than required cooling capacity.

Engine is cooling down too much

Thermostat is stuck open

Replace thermostat. ASAP.