Sign in to follow this  
Huttey

Synthetic OIL

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced Synthetic OIL for a 1999 E39 540 with 110,000 on the clock that meets with the BMW specifications. Also any price info and where it is sold if you know.

Also looking at replacing the Auto tranny oil to see if it makes the changes a bit more crisper and smoother so any recommendations on what to use here will also be most appreciated.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced Synthetic OIL for a 1999 E39 540 with 110,000 on the clock that meets with the BMW specifications. Also any price info and where it is sold if you know.

Also looking at replacing the Auto tranny oil to see if it makes the changes a bit more crisper and smoother so any recommendations on what to use here will also be most appreciated.

If you search maintainence u should find trans oil info in a post from glen-Botany Motor Works-maybe engine oils as well.SEARCH e39 trans! Edited by 1rotty

Engine oil should be 5W40 Full synthetic

Trans either G3 full synthetic or longlife...depending what transmission it has..see my previous thread for suggestions when doing a trans service

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=16806

Edited by botanymotorworx

Engine oil should be 5W40 Full synthetic

Trans either G3 full synthetic or longlife...depending what transmission it has..see my previous thread for suggestions when doing a trans service

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=16806

Thanks Glenn, sorry to be a pain, is there a brand of 5W40 you would recommend, I understand some don't meet the BMW spec LL01 or is it LL03. Also how do you determine which transmission it is and how does this influence which oil?

Have you been therough the list of BMW-approved oils for your motor?

Make sure you stay with the right oil.

I can PDF the list and send it to you if you want.

Yes pleae Jochen, how is Europe ?

i go to jeff grey with two 4 litre containers and ask for 6 litres of 5w 30 syn and an oil filter and present my car club card for a discount,much cheaper thamn mobil one at repco etc.

Thanks Glenn, sorry to be a pain, is there a brand of 5W40 you would recommend, I understand some don't meet the BMW spec LL01 or is it LL03. Also how do you determine which transmission it is and how does this influence which oil?

We use ELF products. However most well branded names are fine to use

The transmission will have a green sticker on the bottom of the pan indicating the type of oil to use. I would get a professional to do the trans service though. There is a proceedure and you might not have access to the tools necessary to do this... just my suggestion

Thanks Glenn, I will shop around for a good one in Wellington. Sent you a PM on ABS pump all good now THANKS

Sorry, but a slightly different topic here. Assuming you guys change motor oil yourself.

What do you do with the used oil?

I've been using either 10w40 or 15w40 depending which garage I go to for my M52 2.8L, both of these are specified in the BMW Handbook. I figure the temp never gets close to freezing in Auckland so I don't need 5w40. Is that wrong of me to assume?

Sorry, but a slightly different topic here. Assuming you guys change motor oil yourself.

What do you do with the used oil?

I've been using either 10w40 or 15w40 depending which garage I go to for my M52 2.8L, both of these are specified in the BMW Handbook. I figure the temp never gets close to freezing in Auckland so I don't need 5w40. Is that wrong of me to assume?

i have an old drum i tip the used oil into,When it starts to get full i go to the local garage and they let me pour it into thir tank which gets recycled.