Sign in to follow this  
nordschleife

E46 Pre-wired for phone?

Hi All,

Do all E46's (specifically M3s) come pre-wired for a phone kit? After some research on Google it appears that US spec cars did and I'd like to know if NZ cars are the same.

Is so, I have some further questions:

What is the extent of the wiring in there? Obviously all E46 M3s have the phone buttons on the steering wheel.

Does it include the mic or is it just power?

Could I buy the bluetooth module and antenna and install in a plug and play fashion?

Any info appreciated.

After some further research I've managed to answer my own question. The phone prep was a $600 option in NZ on the E46 (option 640).

I expect that few NZ new cars would have it.

Also, Bluetooth (Option 644) was $3,050 and the Integrated GSM phone (Option 629) was $3,600.

Prices are from 2005.

I wonder how many buyers too up these options?

i'm installing genuine bluetooth system into my e46, complete loom and hardware for about $1000 with parts ex ebay.

loom done, just waiting on module for the right price (about 250euros for a gen13) vrs $1800nzd for a gen12 module from BMW Nz

you can get aftermarket systems that do untilise the steering wheel controls - alot cheaper

i'm going for genuine for full integration with navigation, on screen txting etc...

i'm installing genuine bluetooth system into my e46, complete loom and hardware for about $1000 with parts ex ebay.

loom done, just waiting on module for the right price (about 250euros for a gen13) vrs $1800nzd for a gen12 module from BMW Nz

you can get aftermarket systems that do untilise the steering wheel controls - alot cheaper

i'm going for genuine for full integration with navigation, on screen txting etc...

Have you seen the offerings on the bimmernav site? Pricing is OK compared to what the options cost from factory but still quite expensive.

yes i have seen them... pricing is good, just becareful of the "extras" you may or maynot need..

Do all E46's (specifically M3s) come pre-wired for a phone kit? After some research on Google it appears that US spec cars did and I'd like to know if NZ cars are the same.

What is the extent of the wiring in there? Obviously all E46 M3s have the phone buttons on the steering wheel.

Does it include the mic or is it just power?

Could I buy the bluetooth module and antenna and install in a plug and play fashion?

If the microphone is fitted, it is prewired.

The pre-wiring involes:

Mic and wiring to the phone control unit

Phone control unit loom with power and interface signals to the stereo system

Unlikely for an NZ-new car to be prewired.

Doing it yourself is possible, the mic is the biggest hassle.

The pre-wiring involes:

Thanks Jochen. I've come across a lot of your posts in my research both on this forum and others. Seems you are quite the BMW electronics genius!

Cheers

Matt

The pre-wiring involes:

Hi Jochen,

Off topic and only for curiosity sake only. Can your navcoder program enable the Brake Force Display on E46s with LEDs? I've heard that the LTSA in their wisdom required this to be dispabled on NZ cars...

Thanks

Matt

Off topic and only for curiosity sake only. Can your navcoder program enable the Brake Force Display on E46s with LEDs? I've heard that the LTSA in their wisdom required this to be dispabled on NZ cars...

Yes NavCoder can program that, when I know what bit and byte in the LCM to change.

I have a friend with BrakeForceDisplay enabled, and with the GT1 software. I have plans to do some more research on his car soon...