Sign in to follow this  
tcbaurpower

HT lead replacement is an upgrade worth the money?

Hello guys and gals,

This might be useful for others as well.

I am just finishing the maintenance on a e30 M20B25 engine and was considering replacing the HT leads.

Q1 Are they something that require replacement after certain k's or is it just when they die?

Q2 If i did replace them is there any benefit from getting 'race quality' ones (blue) from repco etc or just basic to match oem or oem?

Cheers,

Adam

Edited by tcbaurpower

Stick to OEM unless you have uprated bits that will require uprating the spark.

I think you will see little to no gain with $$$ leads.

Haha replacing mine with just oem ones made a HUGE difference. when I pulled one of the leads off the new dizzy cap all this green powder went everywhere. the entire contact had corroded to nothing but green powder, and a different one at the spark plug end the hard long bit was snapped in the middle...

so I wonder how many cylinders itd been runnin on.

Stick to OEM unless you have uprated bits that will require uprating the spark.

I think you will see little to no gain with $$$ leads.

No change to the engine just standard.

Haha replacing mine with just oem ones made a HUGE difference. when I pulled one of the leads off the new dizzy cap all this green powder went everywhere. the entire contact had corroded to nothing but green powder, and a different one at the spark plug end the hard long bit was snapped in the middle...

so I wonder how many cylinders itd been runnin on.

lol.. from your discription 4-5 clinders or is it 318 then 2-3. Maybe the spark jumped the snapped one.

So it is a good idea to replace them at some point before something similar happens. I dont know the history of the car should i replace them incase or can they be checked? I mean i can check the points but what if there is a snap i can not see?

Edited by tcbaurpower

If they aint broke - don't fix!

You won't notice any gain if there is nothing wrong with them. They can fail by high resistance (damaged carbon/ corroded connections) or by leaking & tracking high voltage through damage or just breakdown in insulation, but these situations will cause a misfire.

If undamaged & no corrosion then leave alone. They are also not common to damage as they are well protected on these engines

As already said - with standard ign system - these are more than enough