Sign in to follow this  
monsta72

Puzzled

I have a 95 325i.

I had the thermostat replaced a few days ago as the car was taking forever to warm up.After that it warmed up within five to ten minutes,problem solved or so I thought.

Today while heading to bears racing out at ruapuna I was cruising along Johns rd at about 80ks,looked down and saw temp gauge pointer almost in the red and red light shining away.Started looking for place to pull over and flicked heater to full on.Pulled over in about 20 seconds.Noticed heater blowing cool air after triple checking heat settings.Puzzled

Checked under hood for anything obvious but no apparent leaks or such.Let cool down for awhile and turned around, crawled up road a few ks and pulled over to let cool down again,noticed heater blowing hot air again.

After another cool down took off and heater blowing cold again.What.

Will take car back on Monday but in the mean time any thoughts or advice.

Thanks

Paul

P.S Sorry didnt make the ChCh meet as had family visit from out of town,catch you all next time.Like the pics.

Thanks for the reply QuickSilver.Any ideas on how to bleed out the air?

I know about the bleed screw on top of expansion tank but anything else.

Heater issue could be a result of airlock too - as mentioned.

It could also be due to faulty heater valve/s - these are common to fail in the E36. Or, if climate control - a faulty panel control - again a common problem.

Thanks for the advice Mpulsive and Hotwire

I tried bleeding using the bleed screw and the key and heater on but not engine and nothing came out,fluid or bubbles,waited for about five mins.

Then went for quick drive to warm it up.Came back and had a few bubbles come out then no bubbles.Then went for another drive.

This time while driving had heater off.Two mins later needle moved into red,cranked heater to full and needle jumped back to middle.Home again and repeat.

Noticed when bleeding the third time,when heater off I got fluid and bubbles,but when heater on I got nothing of either.

Still puzzled but will let cool down and try again later.Neighbors loving me reving my car in driveway this time of night.

Any more advice welcome from one and all.

Edited by monsta72

Just found this from gannetboy.Will try.Thanks Mark :D

QUOTE (gannetboy @ May 11 2008, 06:54 PM) *

Sometimes bleeding all the air out takes a while.... park the car on a slight incline (front of car facing uphill) turn the heater on full, open the bleed screw and then hold the revs at around 2000rpm to get the coolant pumping. Keep checking for air bubbles every couple of minutes.... when you're convinced there are no more air bubbles leave the car running for another 5 minutes and then replace the bleed screw, top up the coolant and you're away! This worked for me (on an E36 mind you, but should be a similar process)

No worries... good luck with that mate! Also, does your auxillary fan work? Check the fuses to see if they're blown.

Just bled car and waiting for it to cool down,refill and go for drive.Fingers crossed.

One thing I noticed when starting it from cold was that the engine driven fan was spinning from start-up even though the car was cold.Is this normal or is the fan clutch buggered?

Checked fuses all o.k and aux fan working when ac on.

Just bled car and waiting for it to cool down,refill and go for drive.Fingers crossed.

One thing I noticed when starting it from cold was that the engine driven fan was spinning from start-up even though the car was cold.Is this normal or is the fan clutch buggered?

fan will just about always turn,not always with much force or at the proper speed.The coupling behind tghe fan is a viscous coupling,when it(the air temp frpm the radiator) gets to a certain temperature the coupling locks up and you get good air flow through the rad.When the car is cold the fan should spin relatively freely.When the car is hot (but engine stopped) the fan should not spin freely at all

Yes it spins all the time. Good luck :)

Topped up expansion tank and went for drive.Had heater off to see if all o.k.

2 mins in to drive temp gauge started to move past middle,cranked heater and noticed blowing cold again.Gauge moved to red then jumped back to normal position,middle.Heater blowing hot again.

Enough for me,I admit defeat and time to call in the big guns.Dropped car at motorworks to get thermostat,heater valves and water pump looked at.Its still under warranty.

Thank you everyone for your help,much appreciated.

Paul :)

Yeah, could be a busted water pump impeller or a blockage in the cooling system. Good luck mate, gotta love those mechanical warranties! :D

PS: If it's under warranty take it to ChCh BMW... no need to worry about the hefty bills.

Edited by gannetboy

Are they AA apraised?

Part of the warranty conditions through vero.

Motorworks give me a free courtesy car.Do you think CHCH bmw would lend me an M3?

Edited by monsta72

Do you think CHCH bmw would lend me an M3?

I guess if you are going to ask for a loaner, you should start at the M6 coupe they have and work your way down ;)

Are they AA apraised?

Part of the warranty conditions through vero.

Motorworks give me a free courtesy car.Do you think CHCH bmw would lend me an M3?

I'm pretty sure.. just call up and ask if they deal with warranties through Vero, they will know the process.

May as well make the most of your claim!

Sorry been awhile since I posted,but computer crashed.Now have a new one.

I got car back on friday.The problem was the water pump,plastic impellor cracked.They replaced it with one from the dealers.I was told it was a plastic one also,but different plastic.

Stoked I have my car back.Thanks everyone for the help and advice

Paul :D

Not the end of it. :wacko:

Anyone know what I mean when people say bad things happen in threes.

Day after I got car back the check coolant light message came up.While checking I noticed top radiator pipe seem to have come loose.Upon closer inspection the plastic part of the radiator that the top hose joins on to was completely broken off.

I love plastic parts.

Ive looked at the full alloy radiators but unfortunately would have to starve my family for a few weeks to afford one.

The good news now is at least I know thermostat,waterpump and radiator are all replaced. :rolleyes:

Bummer mate - though it's better to find out now than have it break off when you're halfway up a mountain in the middle of nowhere at 2am! At least now you know you're good for another 100,000kms or so. Oh wait... hopefully your expansion tank is new too? Those can break too... :wacko:

Not only the expansion tank but I also still have the plastic thermostat cover.Fun and games.

Just as well we love these cars. :D