Sign in to follow this  
hbmonkeyman

Uhh Ticking?!?

Hey guys, i was hoping you could help me with my 320i. It's been making a loud ticking sound ever since i got it, and it's just been getting louder. I was wondering if anyone knows what is causing this and how i could fix it?

Cheers

Sam B)

Edited by S.J.T.C

It could be a few things but if its as loud as you say it will be your valves, they need adjusting and the gap needs to be set, its an easy DIY or a cheap job for a mechanic to do,

It could also be your injectors, if overly noisy could be on the way out.

To find out what it is (specifically) get a long screw driver and hold it to your rocker cover and put your ear to it (like a stethoscope) and if you hear the ticking coming from there, its your valves that need adjusting.

Likewise with the injectors, hold it to the injectors and if you hear excessive ticking then that's your problem, bear in mind injectors ALWAYS tick no matter what but if their mega loud this could be a problem.

Of course it could be other things but these two are IMO the most likely.

Edited by QuickSilver

It could be a few things but if its as loud as you say it will be your valves, they need adjusting and the gap needs to be set, its an easy DIY or a cheap job for a mechanic to do,

It could also be your injectors, if overly noisy could be on the way out.

To find out what it is (specifically) get a long screw driver and hold it to your rocker cover and put your ear to it (like a stethoscope) and if you hear the ticking coming from there, its your valves that need adjusting.

Likewise with the injectors, hold it to the injectors and if you hear excessive ticking then that's your problem, bear in mind injectors ALWAYS tick no matter what but if their mega loud this could be a problem.

Of course it could be other things but these two are IMO the most likely.

Cheers thanks, i'll try it first thing tomorrow :)

Heya. ^_^

I've got exactly the same problem!...Still.

Haha well i guess i can take comfort in the fact that i'm not the only one B)

Difference is that your's is M20, probably just an adjustment job, an hour or so and the tappets can be done. 318mouse has an M40, so it'll probably be the hydraulic lifters in hers, and may include a worn cam, meaning a lot more $$ and time.

Oh i also have another problem with my 320i. It makes a sort of thumping sound from the rear of the car almost every time i change gear, it's also a bit hard to put it into gear, i usually need to give the gear knob a bit of a push.

If anyone knows what could be causing this it would be muchly appreciated :)

Oh i also have another problem with my 320i. It makes a sort of thumping sound from the rear of the car almost every time i change gear, it's also a bit hard to put it into gear, i usually need to give the gear knob a bit of a push.

If anyone knows what could be causing this it would be muchly appreciated :)

The thump is most probably the diff when you "clunk" into gear, the trouble with shifiting into gear can be caused by the clutch, I've had this on a few cars, and I bled the clutch and gave it new fluid, and it came right, (including my e30)

The thump is most probably the diff when you "clunk" into gear, the trouble with shifiting into gear can be caused by the clutch, I've had this on a few cars, and I bled the clutch and gave it new fluid, and it came right, (including my e30)

Oh sweet thanks, i probably just didn't bleed the clutch properly when i changed out the slave cylinder then, but i'm sure it was doing this before then.

To find out what it is (specifically) get a long screw driver and hold it to your rocker cover and put your ear to it (like a stethoscope)

Don't try this method with your diff, I wouldn't try it if you think your spark plugs or coil might need attention either.

But yes most likely valve clearances, but do bear in mind the m20's have a natural ticking sound but should not be excessive. Lots of write ups on how to do the valve clearances floating around.

The clunking could be the diff mounts, or the center hanger bearing on the drive shaft. The source of the clunking sound can sometimes be deceiving. Best way I find the problem is put it up on the hoist (back wheels off the ground) with someone in it, go underneath it start it up, put it in gear and play on the clutch. Easy to find where the clunking is coming from that way.

I have done it using a jack and some logs as axle stands (it was at the racetrack and we didn't have a hoist handy) but it was a bit scary I don't recommend checking this way.

I should start a new discussion "How not to diagnose faults"..

Where have you been parking your car lately? Have you had a good look for a bomb?

Don't try this method with your diff, I wouldn't try it if you think your spark plugs or coil might need attention either.

But yes most likely valve clearances, but do bear in mind the m20's have a natural ticking sound but should not be excessive. Lots of write ups on how to do the valve clearances floating around.

The clunking could be the diff mounts, or the center hanger bearing on the drive shaft. The source of the clunking sound can sometimes be deceiving. Best way I find the problem is put it up on the hoist (back wheels off the ground) with someone in it, go underneath it start it up, put it in gear and play on the clutch. Easy to find where the clunking is coming from that way.

I have done it using a jack and some logs as axle stands (it was at the racetrack and we didn't have a hoist handy) but it was a bit scary I don't recommend checking this way.

I should start a new discussion "How not to diagnose faults"..

LOL yes if spark plugs fail I advise against this method,

I had a clunking sound randomly... got worried until I realised my exhaust was a little loose due to having to pick up the then girlfriend at the river <_<