Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Headunit causing fuse blowage

well i keep blowing my #12 fuse.....the one that links the speedo, OBC and headunit...now im thinking there is something to do with the wiring of my headunit...f**k tard who installed it last time....i was wondering how i should go about re wiring..or just leave it to someone who actually can.....also how do you get the headunit to stay on as you start the car...everyone elses bimmer seems to..why not mine! is there a constant power supply wire that turns on with ignition but doesnt cut out when starting?

any thoughts welcome

Who installed the unit, if you got it done professionally drive back over and slap the guy until he does it properly cause that sounds like a back yard jobbie, otherwise it could be drawing power on the wrong wire or it's not grounded right or both.

If it's anything like mine you should have three power leads, your neg grounded to the chasis, your main one powering off the battery line (the lead with the fuse), and the other lead hooked to the acc/ign switch to determine when the key is turned on or off.

There should also a headlight lead to dim the unit, that could also be wrongly wired...when does the fuse blow, when you start the car, when you turn your lights on, or just randomly???

Edited by ///Carl

it was installed by the guy i bought my car off im pretty sure, i might get it prof installed...will prob be easier....the fuse blows when i try turn it on....im begginning to think my headunits fried as it doesnt blow when it isnt attached and the wiring has worked fine up till now

So it doesn't even work when the car isn't started and it was working fine - definately a major problem there buddy :blink:

hmm..might see if i can steal someone elses headunit and test

music is overrated anyway. i love my fuel pump

You could get a volt meter and just check that your getting power from the right wires at the right time. If thats all good then it sounds like your headunits fukd, what is it BTW?

good idea...ill give that a go....its a JVC KD - S575....at least 2 years old...ah well may be an excuse to get an mp3 headdeck!