Sign in to follow this  
mackt

Can someone say ROADTRIP!

It's got huge rear 18inch tyres (275's?) better start saving already for those...

Yeh, i checked that out, all looks like new, hoses and expansion tank! BONUS. That e39 article was well worth reading.

the radiators can crack at the hose outlet/ tank connection.Some people say at 160k replace rad,themostat,waterpump hoses.I say keep a close eye on them and replace at first sign of weakness.you can spot cracks cos the antifreeze dries and leaves a residue Edited by kiwi535

Hahaha I dont think any day in the next week is going to be great for the trip over the Strait. It was over 100kph last night in town !!

Nice car, the black looks superb with the shadowchromed windows, got any interior pics ?

got any interior pics ?

Not yet, it needs some love, will get some when I'm back home...

Watch out for situations where in othercars you wont be speeding..the 540 will waft you absolutely effortlessy up hill, passing manouvres you will hit 160 without realizing, so keep yer eye on the speedo!

I can vouch for that! Amazing cruising cars.

I dont think this one is too quiet-looks VERY nice-nice to see more 540's (2 2day) joing the fray-just goes to show theres lots of people with good taste

Looks like it has the genuine m5 wheels on it too!

Just be extra cautious of the dodgy cooling systems these cars have.

The wheels are style 37's according to that recently posted e39 article(I think).Does that make them M5's ?

I hope so because I've got them on one of mine ( 17's tho )

Congratulations, very envious of the price you paid, watch out for those back roads where you get bored and decide you'll see what a 540 can do, farmers tractors can come up awfully fast, how do I know .....

Ferry crossing this weekend could be fun - cold, wet and windy in Wellytown

PS Interested to know how you find the 18's on your trip, I have staggered 17's which are great but my mags are boring

Welcome to the E39 540 club.

Have a safe and enjoyable drive home.

Snow expected here in Chch so you may need to invest in some chains as you head towards the deep south this weekend!

PS Interested to know how you find the 18's on your trip, I have staggered 17's which are great but my mags are boring

I've just put new 18's on my black 540 with continental 245 40's & I really like the handling improvement-no minuses so far. Would like to go bigger at the rear when funds allow.

Unfortunately the photos are no longer there, but style 37's are the m-parallels and not the M5 wheels. I also dont remember seeing them having enough dish on the rear to make me think they were genuine, but Id have to see another photo to be sure.

18's on an e39 are a must in my opinion. Apart from the handling benefits they look so much better than 17's :)

I dont see too many ferry crossings going today either ;)

Edited by Penry

pop in for a coffee if you like, we are just around the corner from Turners!

if you get to wellington at a reasonable hour(ie while most people are still at work),text or ring me 0276742270 and i will see if i can rustle up a impromptu welly meet(welly bimmersporters take note)

Good buy. I hope it doesn't get bashed up in the fairy, looks like weather isn't getting better.

yuss keen 4 meet

Edited by tastic

Congrats, sounds like a nice car, the link is no longer up so can't see it, but looking forward to photos. Have a safe and fun trip home :D

Oh, lock the 540 with the key and deadlock it on the Ferry. Don't use the IR key to lock the car. We didn't even get away from the dock before I got called down to the car to disable the alarm and turn the movement sensor off.

And the sea was smooth then!

Travel update...

Departed Auckland at 3.00pm and arrived in Wellington at 10pm. The road was dry and no traffic to speak of. (Snowing on top of desert road!!)

I let my wee GPS unit decide on the route, it seemed hell bent on the shortest so I went with the flow, I think it new it was on the shake down drive!

I bypassed Hamilton on State Highway 1B and I came out at cambridge, a short stint on SH1 then I was off onto Horahora road (beside the river) then I was onto the old Taupo Road and then SH32, SH41 to Turangi... These are great roads - so pleased I trusted the Force (or my GPS unit) there was no traffic at all on these roads.

Turangi to Wellington all SH1 but took it very easy on desert road, rain snow and -1C thought there may be ice.

Filled up at Otaki with BP Ultimate stuff. (but would have made it on one tank)

Had cruise turned on SH1 and got to Wellington averaging 27MPG (went to low 20's for a bit in the middle ;)

At this stage I am very impressed with the new toy :D

Off to see if I can squeeze onto the 9.00am sailing (but am booked on 2.00pm) hopefully weather isn't too evil

Oh, lock the 540 with the key and deadlock it on the Ferry. Don't use the IR key to lock the car. We didn't even get away from the dock before I got called down to the car to disable the alarm and turn the movement sensor off.

And the sea was smooth then!

Thanks for that info

The ferry even has internet - cool

Managed to get on the 0900 sailing on standby!

It's not very rough so no worriesabout the car been thrown around.

Need to start planning South Island trip now.

If all roads open - Picton, Amberley, Oxford (mum and dad), Geraldine, Fairle, Omarama (Lindis Pass) Alexandra

otherwise will just go down east coast to home.

The ferry even has internet - cool

Managed to get on the 0900 sailing on standby!

It's not very rough so no worriesabout the car been thrown around.

Need to start planning South Island trip now.

If all roads open - Picton, Amberley, Oxford (mum and dad), Geraldine, Fairle, Omarama (Lindis Pass) Alexandra

otherwise will just go down east coast to home.

Sounds like fun!

Check the weather reports. I got stuck in Linidis last weekend, as you needed 4wd or chains

Nice, sounds like a fun roadtrip.

Good luck for the rest of the drive. DON'T SPEED :P

The wheels are style 37's according to that recently posted e39 article(I think).Does that make them M5's ?

I hope so because I've got them on one of mine ( 17's tho )

Style 37's are M Parallels as Martyn said. Style 65 are the M5 wheel.

It's the end of the road - got home today after an overnight in Alex.

Managed to miss the bad weather.

I'm in love with the car, it's fantastic,lovely cruiser, feels like the size of a 3 series on the twisty stuff, makes excellent noises! Fun to pass things in (well lots of things in 1 go)...

Did Picton to Oxford, Oxford to Omarama via SH1 and then up the waitaki valley. It was snowing lightly over the Lindis but didn't loose traction anywhere, then thru to Alex to meet the family.

The picture is at the top of the Lindis pass - only had my cellphone camera with me so it's not the best.

The cars a winner with my 2 year old, so the boys did the final leg back to Invers.

It took 3 tanks of gas to get back averaged 26 MPG and I wasn't being too saintly :rolleyes:

post-1717-1217179307_thumb.jpg

Edited by mackt