Sign in to follow this  
tcbaurpower

Reassemble an e30 in a weekend.

Hello,

Just want to approximate hours to reassemble an e30 from a rolling shell to a complete runner.

I will have to direct any help as to how to do anything as i took it apart by myself.

I am thinking it will be faster to do it by myself except for lifting the heavy parts.

Any opinions welcome.

Cheers,

Adam

Any experience in any car will do. Has anyone done a one man reassemble in a weekend?

Depending on how stripped to how much you want back in. Ive done it with a little help from a mate (in an E30)

Yeah fully stripped, no engine, no interior, no wiring. ^_^ Just a rolling shell. lol

How long's a piece of string?

How good are you at the job? Have you done it before? Is everything well labelled? Unlabelled?

Had to get the smart answer first aye. I will have friday afternoon, sat and sun so the piece of string is about 48hours long. ;)

I am looking for the more constructive, "you can do it" posts. Just some moral support. The most difficult aspect for me will be getting the engine in. But if i took it out, and i do have good photos, then i can put it back. If i get stuck i will just post up I NEED SOME HELP! :P

Cheers

Yea man youl be sweet go hard to stop to piss or sh*t, get some nirvana going and keep your garage warm.

And what is too heavy that needs 2 people too lift? I know I can lift my M10 block minus head, is m20 that much heavier?

I'd say its do-able for sure, bear in mind those particular problems that will almost "always" happen though, stripped nuts and bolts are my favourites!

I think wirings going to be your biggest issue, working out where everything goes, then mounting it up and getting everything fitted.

A bit of swearing, sweat and bruises/cuts and you should be good.

Sorry for the facetious answer ;)

I think you can get engine/trans in, easy. Whether you can get it running depends on how easily the electric go together, whether you actually have everything (!), and nothing goes wrong...

I imagined a really bare shell. No engine, gearbox, trim, etc. Heaps of work. Sounds like that's not how it is...

I'd say its do-able for sure, bear in mind those particular problems that will almost "always" happen though, stripped nuts and bolts are my favourites!

While I've not put a car together before, I've enough experience with older cars to know this is usually a problem! lol What condition are your fittings in? That is, screws/nuts/bolts, as well as interior fitting pins, electric plugs, etc. Any broken or worn out, and will you need to replace them before fitting? Just my 2c :)

do-able, as long as you have all parts/tools needed etc

although a) I would not bank on having to need it on Monday

B) might be best to take a bit of time to fix things while ya there, preventative maintenance type stuff

M10 is tiny!! M20 is much heavier...I couldnt manage an M42 by myself either (well I did with the crane) awkward things to lift

Well after that no need to rush as the panel beaters have let me down. <_< Oh well thats life.

Now i might as well do some other maintenance that i was going to leave to later. :)

I am thinking suspension and interior:

- Who do you get neothane bushes from i remember reading they are about $100 a pair? is that about right?

- I need a crack free dash to start with.

Cheers for the replies.

Well after that no need to rush as the panel beaters have let me down. <_< Oh well thats life.

Now i might as well do some other maintenance that i was going to leave to later. :)

I am thinking suspension and interior:

- Who do you get neothane bushes from i remember reading they are about $100 a pair? is that about right?

- I need a crack free dash to start with.

Cheers for the replies.

Dude, this car is going to be wicked once you've finished I'm sure! Make sure to bring it along to the next Chch meet once it's all back together! :D