Sign in to follow this  
central3

E36 gliches

The 94 325i has the following:

- the instrument panel dies when you least expect it (speedo and tacho to zero and back again in the blink of an eye)

- the LH indicator comes on when you least expect it (1, 2 or 3 flashes then its all over)

I've seen some comments about earth connections, I have checked the obvious one ( LH side of the engine bay near the air filter box but don't know where the others are)

I also need to change an indicator bulb in the dashboard but the last time I did this it was a mission - felt like I needed to remove the steering wheel - don't want to

Any help would be much appreciated

post-3258-1217141648_thumb.jpg

Have your battery tested. A dying battery will cause all sorts of havoc with your electrics.

Dash problem - could be an earth fault to it, otherwise probably an internal fault.

Indicator - Does the switch feel sloppy or over sensitive in switching on that side?

Removing dash - easy - but you do need to remove the steering wheel.

No idea about the speedo and indicator, but with regards to removing the gauge cluster, you do not need to remove the steering wheel. It takes a little bit of maneuvering but you can get it out, with the glass facing downwards.

No idea about the speedo and indicator, but with regards to removing the gauge cluster, you do not need to remove the steering wheel. It takes a little bit of maneuvering but you can get it out, with the glass facing downwards.

Probably depends on steering wheel fitted - some do need removing - been there- done that

Probably depends on steering wheel fitted - some do need removing - been there- done that

That's true Grant - I have successfully done it on a car with a smaller sports steering wheel and fixed steering column, and a car with the 4 spoke BMW steering wheel and adjustable steering column.

Thanks all for the comments - the indicator switch feels fine so don't think this is an issue - agree with the earth fault comment but don't know where to find earth terminations (will start looking harder) - the steering wheels a 3 spoke - will have another go at the dash without removing the wheel

post-3258-1217464799_thumb.jpg

Its all good - got the dash out with a bit of "manipulation". Have claens up all of the earth terminations I can find and (so far so good) the glitches have gone away.

Its all good - got the dash out with a bit of "manipulation". Have cleaned up all of the earth terminations I can find and (so far so good) the glitches have gone away.