Sign in to follow this  
tunkovich

530i se or motorsport

Greetings all,

I am in the market for an E39 530i but am struggling to find a car that meets all my requirements.

I'd like a motorsport model but with leather and sunroof (TV would be nice as would service history).

540i msport/m5 would fit the bill nicely If I wasn't worried about the running costs/mortgage.

From looking around I have drawn the following conclusions about 530i msports in NZ -

NZ New cars seem to have leather but no sunroof/TV (too expensive options?) and commonly come in black.

Singapore ones can have the above but I been told to be wary of them (electrics)

Japanese motorsports don't have leather (and much if any service history)

UK cars commonly have all of the above at the expense of higher mileage (don't know if many actually make it in to the country)

If the above is correct then I see me having two choices:

1) Advertise and be prepared to sacrifice some of my options.

2) Buy an se model with all the toys and kit it out (may do front bumper only, E39 M5 rep wheels, lowering, msport wheel). Any pitfalls aside from cost with doing this?

Sorry for the long 1st post. I welcome any comments on the above.

Cheers

Tristan

Welcome Tristan. Your observations are pretty accurate, in general NZ New BMWs back then didn't have TV because they didn't have sat nav then, so even if you got one you'd still need to add stuff for sat nav (guys correct me if I'm wrong).

If you are set on having a Motorsport, I would go for a Japanese one, preferably one with sat nav already in it, I believe Jochen and Grant (hotwire) know how to convert it for NZ use. Perhaps get one that's been in NZ a few years so there's some history, or if it's a fresh import just get some good pre-purchase inspections and a warranty, just in case.

Nothing wrong with buying an SE and kitting it out other than cost, but just those bits you have mentioned will cost ~$2k. I think it's easier to get one that already has the Motorsport bits than have to kit it out yourself, and should work out cheaper. Unless you want to put in aftermarket suspension anyway, then it's a consideration. The Alcantara/cloth seats that come in the Japanese Motorsports are pretty nice, even though I know most people prefer leather. You can always get the leather interior from a wrecker.

And if you have a preference for the facelift lights, get a car with them already because they are pretty expensive new.

Hi Tristan

Just had this same delemma, what to do?

I have just got a NZ new 540i Motorsport with TV, Sunroof and Leather - it' a 2000 and V8 - so far the fuel consumption isn't too bad - especially on the open road, and did a mention it's a V8! Also full service history (had 120Km on it) I got it for $16K at Turners.

I was looking for a 530i Motorsport there are some bargains out there I missed out on a 2000 NZ new that went for $14K at Turners (it had all the good stuff on it too) someone is trying to sell it for $22K on TM. It had 85Km.

So I'd recommend being patient and keep an eye on Turners in particular, but there are also some bargain Jap imports on Trademe if the history isn't an issue.

Tim

Biggest thing to consider is your budget?? You are after a desirably specked car so expect to pay well over 25k for it.

Personally I would go for a NZ new 530i Motorsport and install a custom entertainment system that way I would have a unit that can control IPod’s, has Bluetooth and can play DVD’s and will have far far superior sound.

TV isn’t that great BTW, it only works when stationary and doesn’t have a good picture.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Tim, sounds like you got yourself a nice car at a nice price. The fact I saw you mention it has tv but no sat nav echoes what mpulsive was saying. I heard about that black 530i that sold for a song at turners and I found it interesting that since then another guy had advertised a Black NZ New 530i with 44k on the clock making special mention of it having a 'non smokers' interior.

At the end of the day though, no matter how cheap black is out for me as the Mrs doesn't like it.

Apex I figured your price indication was probably about right.

On the cheaper end of the scale it looks like dacosmo's old 528i might be for sale on tradme at the moment. I do like sterling grey if that's what is. Nicely kitted out but price seems a bit steep for the year -15k for a 97?

I might look at taking a 540i for a test drive this weekend of a friends recommendation so I can make a more informed decision. Now that would open up the playing field...

Thanks for the feedback guys. Tim, sounds like you got yourself a nice car at a nice price. The fact I saw you mention it has tv but no sat nav echoes what mpulsive was saying. I heard about that black 530i that sold for a song at turners and I found it interesting that since then another guy had advertised a Black NZ New 530i with 44k on the clock making special mention of it having a 'non smokers' interior.

At the end of the day though, no matter how cheap black is out for me as the Mrs doesn't like it.

Apex I figured your price indication was probably about right.

On the cheaper end of the scale it looks like dacosmo's old 528i might be for sale on tradme at the moment. I do like sterling grey if that's what is. Nicely kitted out but price seems a bit steep for the year -15k for a 97?

I might look at taking a 540i for a test drive this weekend of a friends recommendation so I can make a more informed decision. Now that would open up the playing field...

you better have plenty of willpower.....540 are very addictive....

Welcome.

As has been confirmed. NZ cars were generally fairly sparse with electric goodies. Some later ones with TV & semi wired ready for nav

Typically Jap origin for these bells & leather & then convert radio (if necessary -if before 09/01build) & nav to run in NZ. I can help with this:-

As you say Jap motorsports don't often have leather or TV /Nav.

If you can get a low milage Jap one with a confirmed history then you can get good bang for your buck.

Always nice to have one with all the goodies & working. You can add Bluetooth, DVD system, Ipod & all intergrated into the vehicle system

TV can be programmed for "in motion" too. Though reception can be an issue in outer areas

If Jap - 01 onwards best - they are facelift, usually prewired for phone (where factory Bluetooth is more easily fitted & if late enough that year - will have world radio tuner fitted

I have just got a NZ new 540i Motorsport with TV, Sunroof and Leather - it' a 2000 and V8 - so far the fuel consumption isn't too bad - especially on the open road, and did a mention it's a V8! Also full service history (had 120Km on it) I got it for $16K at Turners.

For your info: it is very easy to add the BMW integrated navigation system to your car (if you want).

hotwire has the info and experience, as do I.

Hotwire's advantage over me is that he is in NZ....

For your info: it is very easy to add the BMW integrated navigation system to your car (if you want).

hotwire has the info and experience, as do I.

Hotwire's advantage over me is that he is in NZ....

jochen this is the car with the handset trouble too fyi!