Sign in to follow this  
melowpuf

E34 525tds Touring

I was driving to lunch today and I spotted a Lachssilber E34 5spd manual Touring parked in Parnell, drove past spotted the badge on the back Put the brakes on reversed and parked beside it. Checked the rego sticker and sure enough the badge was correct it was a 525tds.

If it is yours I want to buy it, but like me you probably don't want to part with it because you will know the fuel saving benefits and the power these m51 engines have. But wait... I have an e36 325tds 5spd manual if you are interested in a swap. I am looking for something a bit bigger as I like carting lots of stuff around, so maybe hopefully you are someone wanting something a little smaller ;).

Or if you know who owns it please let me know. It would be good to know someone else with one of these to share experiences, these are far from common over here (Team McMillan said mine was the only 325tds in the country).

Whoever you are with the 525tds touring you have in my eyes one of THE BEST BMWS ever built. A manual E34 Touring with the m51 engine. It would be THE best if it was Cirrus Blau with dual sunroofs and had the 4wd drive line and leather interior, neither which would be hard to achieve with whats advertised on trademe at the moment.

If anyone knows of the m51 engine please get in contact with me. I have spent many hours in Range Rover forums as they use the same engine. but otherwise I am on my lonesome. I would never trust a mechanic or BMW with my little car (at first I was told that no such car existed So I had to walk him out to it Even when I give them the chassis number they tell me to go and check it again). I even have to wait for them to bring in my Oil filters because they don't keep them in stock.

If you want it soooooo bad, do a Carfax, get the owner's name and ring them.

Easy.

Yes mr smarty pants... would be doing that but umm in the excitement after cleaning up the messes I made whilst drooling, I made the mistake of thinking my memory was better than it is.

Yes mr smarty pants... would be doing that but umm in the excitement after cleaning up the messes I made whilst drooling, I made the mistake of thinking my memory was better than it is.

ooohh....Damn! It seems you're in a bit of a pickle :wacko: Good luck with trying to find the owner. Edited by Nick021

Sounds good, everything has a price.....how deep are you pockets! LOL <_<

Im sure I could cut the bottoms out to make them a bit deeper. I did a round trip from Auckland to Wellington a month back to go pick up a jetski and just for a leisurely drive really in the 325tds. I got back home with just under a quarter of a tank left. The fuel light flickered as I came over the bombays. It took $76 to fill the tank back to the top. The trip was about 1300km in total. I want an E34 touring. I suspect it would be slightly more expensive to run than the e36 but damn cheaper than my other E34's.

Im sure I could cut the bottoms out to make them a bit deeper. I did a round trip from Auckland to Wellington a month back to go pick up a jetski and just for a leisurely drive really in the 325tds. I got back home with just under a quarter of a tank left. The fuel light flickered as I came over the bombays. It took $76 to fill the tank back to the top. The trip was about 1300km in total. I want an E34 touring. I suspect it would be slightly more expensive to run than the e36 but damn cheaper than my other E34's.

Sounds very economical, i did that trip a while back in the wifes e46 320 and yes its good fueld consumption but not that good....it was around $250 in fuel round trip

Edited by Heresharry

only draw back to the m51 motor is that the timing chain stretches-causing hard starting and the crank thrust wears out(eaiest way to check crank wear is to check front vibration damper to see if it has a silver ring polished into it by the belt tensioner-with original belt fitted) but onther wise good motor

never seen an E34 deisel....the 4 wheel drive E34 use a different wheel set than al other E34s,have a strange offset.A e34 tds t ix???

never seen an E34 deisel....the 4 wheel drive E34 use a different wheel set than al other E34s,have a strange offset.A e34 tds t ix???

I wonder if a 525tdsx exists. out of interest where did you get the extra "t" and "i" from? From what I've read, alot of the front suspension components on the 525ix are the same as the M5. I suppose i could do a part number comparison to find out.

Edited by melowpuf

only draw back to the m51 motor is that the timing chain stretches-causing hard starting and the crank thrust wears out(eaiest way to check crank wear is to check front vibration damper to see if it has a silver ring polished into it by the belt tensioner-with original belt fitted) but onther wise good motor

Yup thats about all that I've read that goes wrong with these. Apart from the usual diesel quirks. Injector seals etc. But no big issue really. That and some don't like starting with less than 1/4 tank of diesel?????. On the odd occasion she will crank over a few times and not fire, but I'm 95% certain its an alarm issue. next turn of the key and fires on the first crank as per usual. Trying to sort out a noisy tappet issue at the moment. I havn't used it for a while but I'm sure it was noisier last time I used it. The E34's are just so much more comfortable to drive around in. The E36 is a noticeably harder ride.

You've had some experience with these engines 2 slow?

Sounds very economical, i did that trip a while back in the wifes e46 320 and yes its good fueld consumption but not that good....it was around $250 in fuel round trip

Yes it is very economical, even after road user charges she is by far a lot cheaper. I wish the plonkers would hurry up and sort out the RUC on small non road damaging Fuel Efficient private diesel vehicles. I cringe when I look at the 3 tonne sticker in my windscreen (I'm sure my ass isnt that big).

Our holiday home up the far north costs me $90 each way in my 525i e34 (driver and 2 passengers) and $13 in diesel in the e36 (driver and 1 passenger plus an 18ft trailer boat holding on behind).

I honestly scoffed at this car when I first saw it thinking bleh DIESEL!! Why would you??? Then I took it for a test drive and had to make a detour to a hole in the wall to get the money out to buy it. They are excellent little cars. Only drawback is it doesn't have aircon. But it can't be that hard installing it which is a must before next summer.

I would Highly recommend buying one of these if you ever get the opportunity. There's a bit of turbo lag but you learn to live with it, she still goes plenty fast enough to get an instant loss of license with ease and hauls ass over a 535i. But it was never designed to try and break land speed records.

It would be great to see some pics of your e36, sounds like a pretty rare car!

Ill have to give her a wash and get some photos. Here's one in a line up of some of my bombs on the front lawn.

post-1332-1217655532_thumb.jpg

Ill have to give her a wash and get some photos. Here's one in a line up of some of my bombs on the front lawn.

Jesus!!! I thought I was bad.Pretty cool collection of "bombs"

Jesus!!! I thought I was bad.Pretty cool collection of "bombs"

Theres a few missing. Have sold the e30 and added a few more various E34 models. But I still don't have an M60 yet or an E34 Touring. Good things take time.

I've been keeping an eye on that one its deregistered though which is a huge put off. Have contemplated doing a conversion into one of my sedans. If its the one I think it is it was floating around up in Whangarei as a repo a while back and the finance company sent it off to turners to try and get some money back. I put an offer in to the finance company when they had it on trademe.. before they sent it off to turners. They should have taken my offer ;) So this guy mustve bought it from turners. and now its back on trademe. What a shame it wasnt looked after.

in south africa there were alot of these 325tds running around,had to replace a few chains in my time.