Sign in to follow this  
drewnz

E36 ECU

Hi.

Desperate help required.

Ive been looking at new chips for my 1995 328i ///M.

From talking with various supplers its sounds like that year was right on the cusp of changing from a flashing upgrade to a chip replacement for the ECU upgrade. I basically want to get this sorted. Can anyone help me with information or who to goto in Auckland that can see me right with either a new chip or a flash for my ECU.

If there is anything you can tell me about checking the ECU that is in there for a part number that I can cross refrence to find out what version it actually is would be much appreciated. Im a bit of a novice on all things ECU.

Any suggestions welcome.

Drew

Virtually any ECU (right back to the 80s motronic units) can be upgraded real-time on the dyno and retuned.

Gavin Bellars from Hi Velocity can do this for you - 09 442 4451

If your ECU has a PROM( plastic case chip/no erase window) you just need to fit an EPROM (has glass window) and get it reprogrammed by an engine tuner, if he hasn't done your particular car before the tuning can take quite a few hrs & $$$.

Before you spend the money, ask the tuner first, has he done your type of car & if so what gains/potential does it have.Some stock cars have minimal gains for the buck, in otherwords you would notice sfa.

I understand the best gain for your car is the bigger throttle body, bigger intake manifold, then rolling road tune.

Supposed to give up to 220hp with all this work.

I posted a E36 article some months ago in general discussion, look this up & have a good read on the tuning section.