Sign in to follow this  
GreyE34

e30 325i - what to look for

Greetings

I am going to look at an e30 325i auto later this week and need to know what to look for. It has done around 150ks.

I am aware that the cylinder head gasket needs watching on the M20 engine. Any other issues to look out for?

Having rebuilt the auto in my e34 at considerable cost, are there any particular weak spots in the auto boxes e30s that you are aware of? The car I am looking at has the switchable auto.

I would appreciate any advice.

Rust probably the other issue if it hasn't been looked after - doors, boot, fenders, wheel wells, sunroof, tail rights, battery tray, fuel filler, most of the main ones.

Otherwise just all the usual stuff

Auto Transmission are pretty much the same as 6 cyl E34's im pretty sure(4HP 22).

RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...My 1986 325i is in the panelbeaters at the moment getting about 1k's worth of rust done, that's without the $600 odd i'd already spent on rust!

Main places to check for rust that i know off are:

1. Sunroof/Roof

2. Round taillights

3. In sills inner and outer

4. Along bottom of doors/hinges/on rear doors bottom of window at rear

5. Passengers side firewall

6. Boot - just above lock

...those are the main places i know off. I'll have some pics soon of what it all looked like before they fixed it! Will post them up soon!