Sign in to follow this  
User Name

e28 wont turn over after testing new gearbox - plz help me

Hi Guys

as some people know i have had lots off issues with my cylinder head etc, whihc was still leaking out the back but not really causing a problem

but now after driving it for awhile, when i was driving along and heard a clunking/ticking sound come from engine bay

the engine died while in gear - took it out of gear now it wont even move when its in gear even when we tried to tow it, also wont turn over just shorts

anyone have any bright ideas before i pull the gearbox and engine out

PLEASE HELP

any questions and ill let you know what happened

if i was close to a big city, and last time i took a mechanic it cost me 200 and they couldnt tell me more than i knew was wrong with the car, and in the end took the cylinder head off (and ohh there was water in the block) which i had figured it was

but now back to my problem at hand, it was working fine then just stoped so thats what confuses me

and if i take it to a mechanic two options

Tow the car in netural for 20kms with no power steering or brakes

or get a car trailer and still have to mega mish it with that

soo yea, ive done everything else on this car myself and just dont have big buks to be wating on a m30 2.8 - when i could put my m30 3.5 in and test the gearbox while im doing the engine swap

if i was close to a big city, and last time i took a mechanic it cost me 200 and they couldnt tell me more than i knew was wrong with the car, and in the end took the cylinder head off (and ohh there was water in the block) which i had figured it was

but now back to my problem at hand, it was working fine then just stoped so thats what confuses me

and if i take it to a mechanic two options

Tow the car in netural for 20kms with no power steering or brakes

or get a car trailer and still have to mega mish it with that

soo yea, ive done everything else on this car myself and just dont have big buks to be wating on a m30 2.8 - when i could put my m30 3.5 in and test the gearbox while im doing the engine swap

With respect - as already said - take it to a mechanic - & obviously a better one than last time:-

Your fault description is rather vague & it sounds as if you will be stabbing in the dark in trying to diagnose it.

If no trailer option then tow it carefully

One thing to check first though - is the engine siezed?

How can you tow it if it won't move in neutral?

If it doesn't move in neutral - even by pushing - then either the insides of the gearbox have seized or its not really in neutral and you have an engine problem. You need to troubleshoot more.

In addition to that, you sound like you have an electrical problem.

Wait - is it auto or manual gearbox?

pull the rocker cover off,see if any rockers arent broken!! pull out the sparkplugs and see if any are damaged? while the plugs are out try turn the engine over, could be that the cam gear was not properly fastened???

How can you tow it if it won't move in neutral?

If it doesn't move in neutral - even by pushing - then either the insides of the gearbox have seized or its not really in neutral and you have an engine problem. You need to troubleshoot more.

In addition to that, you sound like you have an electrical problem.

Wait - is it auto or manual gearbox?

Yea fair call - my slip up. Contradicted myself somewhat <_<

my advice would be to: jack it up at the diff and put axle stands on either side of hte car, disconnect the drive shaft from the diff end. That will at least get it mobile, although being an E28 you may have to remove the exhaust to get to the drive shaft (dont know E28 setups, but think they're centre exhaust, not sure where they mount in relation to drive shaft but surely it wont imped the diff end) . Put it on a tow truck and take it to your nearest trusted mechanic. Do some research on the right tools to take before you go.

Edited by bmw3

clunking/ticking,

sounds like metal to metal=not good

seen the evidence of #1 inlet valve come adrift and bounce across to number 6 and back to number 1.

that was not a pretty sight.holes in pistons etc.

your problem could be anything.get it home and start the tear down

ps

pay the $$ and get a tow truck.saves 1/2 a day shagging round

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the advise, yea its at home now so im going to try jack the back off the ground next w.e and see if i can get the wheels turn when its in gear and off the ground

I have just finished putting the manual transmission in and cylinder head had just being redone, bleed the cooling system

and then this is when it died after driving for about 5 mins making sure it shifts proberly and no dramas with engine besides small oil leak at the back of cylinder head.

i had been up and down the road a few times fine, then the sound and engine cut out

when i try to turn it over it shorts like when you have a auto in them and the flywheel jams cause you can hear the starter trying to turn the flywheel but wont give, but given its a manual only ting i can think is clutch or engine has given out

The car moves fine in netural, but once in any gear wont even move at all even tried towing it and wouldnt move at all,

theres no way that my flywheel could of jammed or broke would that cause the engine and car not to move at all??

and the mechanic i was talking about earlier was bmw dealer in wellington and they didnt even clean my car

and all other work has being done by me and my dad no worries so yea its just random it was going fine then drama

Did you use a 'dual mass' flywheel??

Could have come apart? as they do.

Part of the pressure plate failed?? Seen that put a hole in a bell housing before!!

Is the clutch release mechanism working fine?? clutch fork or centre release bearing may have collapsed?

Is the starter motor matched with the flywheel? armature not 'over' engaging and/or not retracting enough and jamming on flywheel? Same tooth count/pitch? Sticky solenoid?

Was it always manual? or have you just converted from Auto??

Edited by E30-323ti

Did you use a 'dual mass' flywheel?? yes used a dual mass never thort that it might fall apart, lolz

Part of the pressure plate failed?? Seen that put a hole in a bell housing before!!

Is the clutch release mechanism working fine?? clutch fork or centre release bearing may have collapsed?clutch seems to be putting pressure on the gearbox as slight movement between engine and gearbox

Is the starter motor matched with the flywheel? armature not 'over' engaging and/or not retracting enough and jamming on flywheel? Same tooth count/pitch? Sticky solenoid? na would say solenoid fine cause it started easy each time except bit hard to start until warmed up

Was it always manual? or have you just converted from Auto?? Just converted to manual and it was a bitch should of brought a e28 selector rod etc but least now i have two

Altho it had a rough kinda clunking sound coming from timing chain when ideling but once reved was fine, well seems as im going to have to pull the car apart again lolz