Sign in to follow this  
tcbaurpower

e30 rear shock options.

Hello.

We went over to Akaroa for the night and just yesterday we noticed that the right rear was lower. It looks nice but need to get it fixed asap.

Do you repair shocks or just replace them?

How much for a rear set and good brands to use?

Is it straight forward enough to do at home?

Cheers

If it's sitting uneven it's more likely a spring problem, they're what hold the car to ride height, shocks are more like the springs little helpers, control rebound and rate at which spring works etc, from what I understand? Springs control ride height.

If it's sitting uneven it's more likely a spring problem, they're what hold the car to ride height, shocks are more like the springs little helpers, control rebound and rate at which spring works etc, from what I understand? Springs control ride height.

lol well i was way off. Have not done a lot with suspension. So we were going over very hard curving mountain roads, possibly pushing it a bit and had some hard bumps coming out of the corners mostly on the right rear. Are the springs likely to recover from that or have they been permanently compressed? Do Bimmersport members get any discount on a set of new rear springs?

Don't know how old they were, maybe it was time for some new ones.

Edited by tcbaurpower

Keith Hartley is your man if you want aftermarket. His user name is SUSPENSION and he gives a bsport discount.

If you want replacement secondhand springs, plenty of people will have some lying around including me. Worth a box of beers.

Get under there and ahve a look. You should see something out of the ordinary when compared with the other side.

Keith Hartley is your man if you want aftermarket. His user name is SUSPENSION and he gives a bsport discount.

If you want replacement secondhand springs, plenty of people will have some lying around including me. Worth a box of beers.

Get under there and have a look. You should see something out of the ordinary when compared with the other side.

I will defiantly do the box of beers option if someone in ChCh has some. I didnt jack her up last night will do tonight. Will check with Keith on the price for a set.

Possibly a bent trailing arm. I doubt you will even compress a spring by just going over bumps etc.

Thanks for the advice will jack it up and compare, i have another e30 to check against as well. Should sort it out this weekend. :rolleyes: It still drives okay could only see it was leaning didnt feel anything.

I have some which are worth a box of beers, but they will only be available in 2 weeks when I get my new ones im waiting on. Im raising the back of my car, so these are 60mm lowered springs. PM if interested. Cheers

Get under there and ahve a look. You should see something out of the ordinary when compared with the other side.

I have some factory spings near enough to Christhurch if you can't get any others

and if they don't do it I also have some good condition factory rear shocks that i may be able to part with.

Again if nobody else can help out. ( don't want to infinge on any other deals )

I have some factory spings near enough to Christhurch if you can't get any others

and if they don't do it I also have some good condition factory rear shocks that i may be able to part with.

Again if nobody else can help out. ( don't want to infinge on any other deals )

Yeah i have had a few offers now which is great. Thing is the rear is not leaning anymore! This is just crazy. I still have not had a chance to check it out, forgot i had plans for last night, so will have a good look tomorrow.

The rear has corrected by itself. I dont know what caused the lean. I had a good look at both sides, nothing was different between them.

Thanks for the offers of parts.

Maybe something stuck, and freed itself. By "something" I mean I can't really think of anything that wouldn't be a bit of a major problem. Keep an eye on it. Maybe your shocks are on the way out.