Sign in to follow this  
Silver Fox

schnitzer turbo, 2.8 M30

Rumour has it that schnitzer produced some of these, early 80's, anyone know of them at all?

post-1118-1218870924_thumb.jpg

Edited by Silver Fox

Rumour has it that schnitzer produced some of these, early 80's, anyone know of them at all?

Started production in 1978. These cars were only in small block (m20) as a 2.3ltr. They ran fuel injection in a Kjet modified form. Performance was about the same as the e21 Alpina version at the time. The 2.8 ltr M30 engine was fitted in the Alpina as a normally aspirated set up. The turbo was a KKK type and fitted to a log type manifold specific to Schnitzer. They had a reasonable sized intercooler for the period. Hard to find one as they are rare cars, how many were made I don't know, but have a feeling is was about 200 units. The advantage of the m20 engine with a turbo over the m30 in the Alpina was the handling. Being a very nose heavy car, adding weight to the front of an e21 with an m30 engine was not a good idea. Schintzer had a much better set up with the turbo.

Here in Christchurch we have built up a Schnitzer turbo replica for classic racing. It had a very brief outing (12 laps of Ruapuna) last season, but ended up back in the shed for more much needed development in the suspension and brakes to ready it for this coming season.

Hope this answers a few questions.

The replica you have, is it based on the M20 or M30 block? The pic above is a M30 turbo from Schnitzer.

It occurs to me that it might not be an M30 - I haven't spent much time looking at M30s, but isn't the oil cap at the wrong end for an M30?

It occurs to me that it might not be an M30 - I haven't spent much time looking at M30s, but isn't the oil cap at the wrong end for an M30?

oil cap is at the back of my engine(m30 b 35)

The replica you have, is it based on the M20 or M30 block? The pic above is a M30 turbo from Schnitzer.

Hi,

I am the other partner in the 323i turbo project. It is an M20 block. The jpg on the link above is also an M20 block.

Cheersturbo

Jono.

Far out thats cool! Wonder why more wernt made? Do you know how reliable these setups were kento?

I doubt they were very reliable given the lack of technology for control of the spark and mixture during that period. We are running a t3/t4 garret and have used an efi unit to get better control over the spark and mixture. The original K Jet set up was a dog and it is silly to replicate it, so we have opted for a modern set up so we can get reliable Hp.

-Jono.

isn't the throttle body position all wrong for a M20?

isn't the throttle body position all wrong for a M20?

They swapped them around from memory for the turbo engine on the schnitzer set up.This shortened the route for the intercooler. This set up is similar to the m30 engine turbo arrangements flowing left to right. With our set up we flow right to left. This is good for the plumbing of the intercooler allowing a cross flow across the front of the engine bay.